School District No. 73 is currently accepting applications for the position of Accounting Clerk 4 - Payroll. This is a full-time permanent position. Following successful completion of the probationary period, the incumbent will be eligible for Extended Health and Dental Benefits, as well as Group Life and LTD Insurance. School District No. 73 belongs to the Municipal Pension Plan.
Under the limited supervision of the Manager of Finance, the incumbent performs skilled payroll tasks of a complex nature related to the preparation, processing and distribution of semi-monthly and bi-weekly employee payrolls. Work is varied and requires the incumbent to make calculations based on changing guidelines using independent judgement and initiative. Is responsible for the day-to-day operations and complete payroll processing function of the Teaching, Teachers Teaching On Call, Support and Casual Staff payroll desks as assigned.
- Reviews, processes and inputs staffing notifications and requests corrections, if required
- Coordinates deductions/reimbursements for various employee benefit plans
- Reviews absences for errors and missing information and advises Human Resources (HR)
- Monitors absences for contractual limits and advises HR of required changes
- Independent verification of payroll calculations and reviews final computer output for accuracy
- Calculates and processes remittances to third party vendors
- Prepares and uploads employee earnings statements
- Issues ROE’s per statutory requirements and responds directly to Service Canada inquiries
- Performs payroll estimates for HR, Finance, and employee requests
- Coordinates with HR as required on contractual interpretation, FTE calculation, and other processes
- Creates reports to monitor accuracy of the system information
- Creates reports to extract payroll information from the electronic system for Finance or HR
- Develops processes to implement contractual and other payroll changes within the software
- Performs payroll recalculations and processes resulting payments or deductions as required
- Ensures Provincial and Federal legislative and statutory compliance on an ongoing basis
- Responds professionally to all payroll inquiries from Service Canada, Canada Revenue Agency, Teacher and Municipal Pension Plans, employees, managers and other third parties
- Maintains structure and ensures accuracy of salary grids and annual statutory programming changes
- Calculation and payment of retroactive salary increases and adjustments
- Maintains confidentiality of all employee and payroll information
- Works directly with the SRB/PowerSchool software developer support team to resolve issues and implement changes and updates
- Works with Finance clerks in the preparation of year end Pension reporting and T4’s
- Other related payroll duties as assigned
ABILITIES, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to meet non-flexible payroll deadlines
- Ability to prioritize workload with a high degree of attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to comprehend and understand the application of Bargaining Unit Contract obligations and when to co-ordinate with HR
- Extensive knowledge of Provincial and Federal payroll legislation and benefits, statutory and non-statutory requirements, Canada Savings Bonds, Teacher and Municipal Pension Plans, etc.
- Advanced working knowledge of computerized payroll systems, databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
- Ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with the public, administration, managers, employees, and outside agencies.
- Working knowledge of School District policies, procedures, expenses, general ledger coding system and Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) calculations.
- Working knowledge of WorkSafeBC relating to wage reporting and reimbursement
- Canadian Payroll Association certification
- Three years current experience in processing computerized payroll and all related functions in a medium to large union organization and demonstrate a thorough knowledge of payroll processes and practices
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by two year accounting/payroll courses at the post-secondary level.
School District No. 73 is an equal opportunity employer. All applications are considered on the basis of their suitability for the position(s), regardless of the gender, age, sexual orientation, religion, racial origin, marital status and/or disabilities of the prospective candidate.
If reasonable accommodation is required to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of the position, and/or to receive all other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Associate Superintendent John Wiedrick, firstname.lastname@example.org.