Lach Klan School
The Gitxaala, also known as Git Lax Mo’on, people of the saltwater, are one of the most ancient societies on the Northwest coast. The community has a population of approximately 300 people. Health and wellness guide a variety of community initiatives, often including Lach Klan School. Our school includes pre-school to grade 12 and currently serves 75 students. We are located in Kitkatla, about 45km southwest of Prince Rupert on Dolphin Island and accessible by boat and seaplane. The area is home to a wide variety of animal and sea life, a multitude of islands, and breath-taking views. This area is abundant with opportunity for an outdoor enthusiast.
Lach Klan School, in the Gitxaala Nation is seeking a School Guidance Counsellor.
· Providing counselling to all students across the school
· Connecting students and families with mental and physical support inside and outside the community
· Differentiating Career Education lessons for Grades 10-12 to meet the needs of all students, while helping to create a rigorous learning environment
· Building collaborative and effective relationships with students, staff, parents and the community
· Actively participating in the community
· Providing supervision, guidance and instruction for students in their social, academic, and personal lives
· Assisting students living with disabilities to meet their academic goals
· Planning and organizing individual and group programs using multi-disciplinary approaches
· Holding meaningful and insightful conversations with students, faculty, and parents, and mediating communication between these groups
· Assisting with homework and other study-related issues
· Referring students to scholarship, fellowship, internship, research, and other academic and employment opportunities
· Proactively identifying methods for growth, development, and mentorship
· Developing other guidance and counselling programs as needed
· Knowledge of First Nations communities in the Pacific Northwest
· Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
· Able to manage multiple student files
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Understanding of personal or life skills management
· Training or teaching experience or qualification
· Comfortable working with children of different ages, as well as faculty and parents
· Leadership skills when working with groups and individuals
We provide: Furnished teacherage at $300 per month, health benefits, pension, $3,000 moving allowance, retention bonus after the first year, a competitive salary (between $60,000 and $110,000 depending on qualifications and experience).
For additional information or to submit an application for this position, send your cover letter, resume, three references, and documentation of your credentials via email to email@example.com.