Casual Bus Drivers
Mission Public Schools is dedicated to providing our students with an educational environment that nurtures the development of an Educated Citizen. Located in the beautiful Fraser Valley, Mission is a vibrant and diverse community with over 6200 students and 850 employees. We are committed to providing a safe, equitable, and inclusive educational system for all students in our thirteen urban and rural elementary schools, two middle schools, one secondary school, distributed learning centre, alternative learning centre, and vocational and technical college.
Reporting to the Transportation Manager and under the direction of the Transportation Foreman, the Bus Driver provides transportation of students while obeying traffic and safety regulations while driving in a variety of road and weather conditions. Work is generally of a routine nature with established routes, however, additional trips, both within and outside the school district, occur.
The Bus Driver works independently with unusual circumstances referred to the Transportation Foreman and also when appropriate, the School Administrator on matters related to student behaviour. The work has well defined operating procedures, methods and limits established by law, the School Board and departmental policy, including those for dealing with inappropriate student behaviour. Unusual circumstances are referred to the Transportation Manager and also when appropriate, the School Administrator on matters related to student behaviour.
- Drives a bus in order to transport students from designated pick-up and delivery locations, both routine and special (e.g. field trips, sporting events, etc.
- Conduct daily inspections of the vehicle, prior to operation, to check the safety of basic mechanical features, as per departmental policy. Maintains vehicle's fluids such as fuel, engine oil, coolant, etc. at the correct level.
- Sweep interior of bus daily and ensure tidiness
- Explains to regular passengers basic safety items such as safe operation of windows; and the use/location of emergency exits, fire extinguishers and first aid kit
- Maintains order and adherence to safety rules among students during transport and when boarding and leaving bus, following School District and departmental regulations.
- Sweeps the interior of the bus daily and ensures its general tidiness
- Bus washing as directed
- Report any mechanical problems as soon as possible to supervisor or designate
- Assists handicapped or wheelchair-confined students in getting on and off the bus, and secures their seating for transport
- Following departmental guidelines reports any incident/accident involving bus or students to the Transportation Supervisor as soon as possible
- Completes basic records and reports related to inspections, student behavior, etc.
- Maintains professionalism, ethical behavior and confidentiality
- Performs other related duties as may reasonably be expected of a person in this position
- Secondary school graduation
- Valid B.C. Class 2 driver’s license with an Air Endorsement with a safe driving record; a driver’s abstract to be provided annually
- Thorough knowledge of the rules of safe operation and safety precautions to be taken when driving and school buses
- Sufficient physical strength to lift materials and equipment, ability to carry out safe working practices including the ability to use appropriate lifting and carrying techniques
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, teachers and supervisors
- Ability to work cooperatively with others including both department and other school district staff
- Ability to direct students, with authority and diplomacy and following departmental procedures, to ensure appropriate and safe behaviour
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of school district operations, policies and procedures
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Previous related experience in driving large multi-passenger vehicles would be an asset
- Previous experience working with groups of children would be an asset
Given the nature of the work, the bus driver shall not consume alcoholic beverages within 12 Hours prior to driving a bus. Violation could lead to dismissal. Further, the bus driver will ensure that any medication, drugs, etc. that may be taken will not impair driving ability. Consultation with a physician may be necessary for this.
The bus driver must follow Board Policy in regards to Medical Examinations and Eye Tests.
Note: A clear Criminal Record is required for this position, with a review to be updated every five (5) years. Selected applicants will be required to pass a road test.