Senior Manager – Fiscal Management Services
The Surrey School District respectfully acknowledges that our schools reside on the traditional, unceded, and shared territories of Coast Salish peoples: The q̓ ícə̓ y̓ - Katzie, the qʼwa:n̓ƛʼən̓ - Kwantlen and the SEMYOME - Semiahmoo First Nations, who have been stewards of this land since time immemorial.
Surrey Schools values an inclusive school district, where equity is deeply embedded and diversity welcomed. We are committed to creating and cultivating diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environments for all applicants, employees, students, and their families. We work to continuously grow and improve our practices, celebrate our differences, and empower people to promote positive change in our communities. Our identity, as Surrey Schools, is expressed in the shared values of openness, fairness and tolerance and recognize the importance of diversity of identity and thought. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
Surrey Schools, recipient of the BC Top Employers and Canada's Greenest Employer awards, is the largest school district in BC and the second largest employer in Surrey. Spread across one of the fastest-growing cities in British Columbia, Surrey Schools provides quality education to over 77,000 students with 124 schools sites and a variety of other learning facilities, offering a broad range of innovative programs and services to support the learning of our students. The Surrey School District team of approximately 13,000 employees works tirelessly every day to ensure that children are getting the best start they can, providing the preparation to be our leaders of tomorrow.
Reporting to the Director, Finance, the Senior Manager, Fiscal Management Services will be responsible for leading the development, implementation, maintenance, evaluation, and improvement of financial reporting processes, policy, and procedures, accounting operations, performance management, financial systems, and treasury functions in accordance with Surrey Schools policies, collective agreements, and statutory requirements.
The Senior Manager ensures the accurate and timely preparation and analysis of all facets of financial reporting and operations, including financial statement preparation and analysis, cash management and treasury function, accounts receivables, accounts payables, and all other fiscally related duties. The Senior Manager’s responsibilities also include handling employee relations and may perform other administrative duties as required.
The Senior Manager will provide effective leadership, vision, and direction to the school district’s fiscal management services function while being accountable for attainment of key performance indicators, and providing a strong level of support to the Director, Finance.
The responsibilities of this Senior Manager, Fiscal Management Services position include, but are not limited to, the following :
- Responsible for all aspects of accounting operations – A/P, A/R, general ledger entries, bank reconciliation, credit card expense report reconciliation, and school financial review, wire transfers
- Responsible for delivering timely and accurate financial processing, monthly/quarterly/annual financial statements, and key account reconciliations to ensure the District’s reporting meets statutory and legislative requirements
- Supports the District’s decision making by providing timely and accurate financial information (e.g., variance analytics, accounting standards analysis, accounting processes, etc.) and recommendations to Senior Leadership
- Communicating and providing recommendations on complex accounting standards, procedures, and policy to department leadership, gaining buy-in for process changes implementations
- Leads and participates in meetings, training workshops, and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions
- Prepares a wide variety of materials of support for financial statements, working papers / reports for external auditors, Board Trustees, Secretary Treasurer, department administrators, etc.
- Responds and solves complex accounting issues related to internal (director level and below) and external (all levels) financial requests, as they arise, some of which may be sensitive or extremely confidential in nature
- Leads the preparation of analysis, information, and direction to the Surrey Schools community on the interpretation of internal and external policies, procedures, and regulations, some of which may be sensitive or confidential in nature.
- Collaborates with internal and external personnel (e.g., management, auditors, vendors, etc.) for the purpose of implementing and/or maintaining services and programs
- Compiles data from a wide variety of sources (e.g., staff, other public agencies, school districts, etc.) for the purpose of analyzing issues, ensuring compliance with organization policies and procedures, and/or monitoring program/expenditure components
- Research financial topics and related accounting issues (e.g., current accounting standards, trends) for the purpose of evaluating compliance requirements and potential implications on district operations.
- Develop treasury function process and procedures to ensure appropriate oversight, internal controls, analysis, and reporting to Senior Leadership
- Develop and monitor cashflow projections allowing forecast and analysis, and provide recommendation on cash targets to support day-to-day operations, funds available for investment, and efficient liquidity management
- Responsible for the appropriate accounting of investments in line with applicable accounting standards
- Maintain banking and investment firm relationships
- Maintain and update financial procedures and processes
- Attracts, retains, and manages unionized and exempt (CPA) staff by implementing recruitment and selection strategies, providing orientation to staff, and ensuring a stimulating work environment
- Sets departmental performance goals and objectives, monitors, and assesses performance and employs strategies, in collaboration with HR, such as coaching and mentoring as appropriate to enhance performance
- Leads team members to define shared and individual goals, meet target dates and ensure alignment of team goals while providing excellent leadership and direction via establishing priorities and objectives and fostering effective teamwork among team members
- Develops an environment of collaboration and a strong customer service culture. Inspires, motivates, and guides team members by fostering commitment, team spirit and trust
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A professional accounting designation (CPA) in good standing is required
- Minimum 7 to 10 years progressive accounting experience in financial reporting and analysis, financial operations, administration, and assurance, and working with integrated computerized systems
- Minimum 5 years of previous management/supervisory experience with proven ability to lead manage, and develop people and collaborative relationships at all levels
- Strong understanding and knowledge of Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with a strong focus on customer service.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with forward thinking application
- Proven ability to exercise tact and diplomacy, confidentiality, and conflict resolution skills.
- An understanding of and respect for the diverse values and culture of a school district environment.
- Strong knowledge of accounting procedures and financial reporting practices.
- Demonstrated ability to summarize and present complex financial data in an organized and concise manner with a strong attention to detail
- Strong computer skills, proficiency with spreadsheet programs (Microsoft Office Suite), and demonstrated ability to use various financial software packages and databases to perform financial analyses and develop reports.
Qualified applicants can apply by clicking "apply online" below. The closing date for this position is May 31, 2023 at 4pm.
Note: Successful applicants will be required to consent to a Criminal Records Search prior to employment. Site visits are required occasionally, as such a valid driver’s licence and access to a vehicle are preferred. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. To all others, thank you for your interest.