Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools welcomes applications for the position of
Under the general supervision of Principal or designate, you will provide a range of services for students with special needs which include personal care, behaviour support and assistance with educational programs.
Assignments : Casual & Temporary, Part-time and Full-time assignments available, leading to permanent employment. Work hours are beginning and end of school day. You will be called to work at all school locations.
Wage: $30.21 per hour
As an Education Assistant you will
- Assist in implementation of instructional programs for designated students by monitoring, observing, recording and reporting on behaviourial, learning and personal patterns.
- Assist students, individually and in small groups, with learning activities and/or independent study projects.
- Assist with supervision of individual or small groups of students, during the temporary absence of teacher.
- Support learning and skill development activities in worksite and community-based settings.
- Assist professional staff to adapt/modify curriculum and resource material and adapts strategies to accommodate individual learner needs/styles.
- Observe and documents learner strengths, achievements and needs through daily learning activities. Assist in the collection of data and maintaining student records for the purpose of evaluating student progress. Provides information to teacher for home/school formal/informal communications.
- Provide behaviour support and, when necessary, applies physical restraint following the District’s policies and procedures.
- Carrie out personal and health care plan as directed.
- supports occupational and physical therapists, including feeding, dressing and undressing, toileting, cleaning or washing child or clothing and lifting into and out of wheelchairs, buses and cars.
- Supports speech-language pathologists, vision and hearing impaired specialists and nurses in the delivery of required services.
- follows established protocol regarding administration of medicine and/or medical procedures.
- assists with the physical safety of students and assists them with crutches or equipment, at and in the swimming pool and during exercise or play activities.
- operates, services, adjusts, and sanitizes specialized personal and medical care equipment.
- Prepare classroom and plans activities by gathering resources, including organizing and participating in field trips.
- Operate or assists students in the operation of personal computers and other specialized instructional equipment/technology.
- Communicate with students using sign language, Braille or other specialized skills as required.
- Participate in meetings, planning and liaison with parents, District staff and health professionals, as directed.
- May, on occasion, be required to perform other related duties as assigned.
Your Education and Experience
- High school graduation or the equivalent.
- Successful completion of a recognized Post Secondary Special Education Assistant program, or a Degree/Diploma in a related field, including two 105 hour practicums, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated skills in basic behaviour management.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain respect for and from students.
- Ability to keep accurate records.
- Knowledge of sign language and/or Braille.
- Physical capability to perform the job duties.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information seen or heard.
How to apply
Please submit your application to www.MakeAFuture.ca/nanaimo-ladysmith. Please include the following,
- A Cover Letter and Detailed Personal Resume that clearly demonstrates related qualifications
- Name and contact information including email, of two professional references who are familiar with your professional performance.
Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools wishes to thank all those interested in the posting, however only those shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
If you have questions or require assistance with this application process, please contact the Customer Care department at MakeAFuture at 1 866 806 6851 or email@example.com