CASUAL STRONG START FACILITATORS
The Abbotsford School District is located on the traditional and unceded territory of the of the Stó:lō people, the Semá:th First Nation and Mathxwí First Nation. With this, we respect the longstanding relationships that Indigenous Nations have to this land, as they are the original caretakers.
Located under an hour from Vancouver, the Abbotsford School District is settled in the heart of the beautiful Fraser Valley and surrounded by spectacular mountain views.
Learn more about the Abbotsford community: https://tourismabbotsford.ca/ - www.thefraservalley.ca
Why the Abbotsford School District?
Every day, in every classroom and office at Abbotsford School District, our employees provide a world-class, innovative educational experience for over 19,000 students. We are committed to ensuring that every student receives the support they need to access the high-quality education they deserve. We believe that leaders continue to be drawn to the collaborative and supportive work environment that we provide.
Under the general direction of the Principal, the Strong Start Facilitator is responsible for creating and facilitating a program environment where parents and caregivers participate alongside their children in an interactive, play-based setting.
The job involves maintaining confidentiality in all matters of the School District and current, proficient knowledge of documentation practices, School District Policies and Procedures, Collective Agreements, and Provincial Legislation.
- Planning and facilitating daily activities for the early learning program in response to the Strong Start BC guidelines and the Early Learning Framework (including stories, music and art)intended to help children grow in developmental domains.
- Creating a family-friendly environment that provides safety and security for children and their caregivers while respecting cultural values, goals and expectations.
- Modelling effective strategies that support early learning activities to allow parents and caregivers the opportunity to observe and practice and encouraging parental involvement and participation in the program.
- Maintaining program records such as statistics, forms and attendance and producing reports and work plans as required for use by the District and Ministry of Education
- Monitoring, obtaining and providing nutrition supplies such as healthy snacks and identify required supplies and equipment as needed in accordance with budget allowance.
- Promoting and creating awareness of the StrongStart program and identifying opportunities through the development and maintenance of strategic partnerships with clients, school staff and community partners
- Participating in and facilitating special events, workshops, meetings, and parent information sessions for the StrongStart centre as requested by the District.
- Preparing the centre for opening and closing each day including daily setup and takedown of program materials and equipment and ensuring they are stored and maintained appropriately.
- Liaising regularly with various stakeholders including site-based Principal, District Principal of Early Learning, other StongStart Facilitators, Manager of Community Partnerships and the Ministry of Child and Family Development (MCFD) for children under protection or requiring child protection
- Maintaining current knowledge of early learning and child care issues including maintaining licensing requirements
- Maintaining a working knowledge of district operational/personnel policies related to the position.
- Ensuring compliance with district and government health and safety procedures and regulations to minimize potential for accidents, injuries and hazards.
- Undertaking related duties, as assigned consistent with this position.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The successful applicant will have Grade 12 supplemented by the completion of an Early Childhood Education Diploma Program and a valid Early Childhood Education License to Practice in BC. A valid Food Safe and Child Safe First Aid certificate is also required along with 1-2 years of recent and related experience working in Early Childhood Education including parent/child interactive programming.The incumbent must also have the following:
- Demonstrated knowledge of child development including key aspects of the StrongStart program including literacy, numeracy, family dynamics, support and education.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders including parents, volunteers, caregivers, children and community members.
- Proven ability to organize and implement a parent participation early learning program
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding and respect of the socio-economic and cultural backgrounds of the stakeholders
- Working knowledge of proper safety practices and the demonstrated ability to work in a manner that recognizes personal safety and the safety of others
- Proven ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing with the ability to explain instructions or information clearly to others
- Proven ability to maintain positive interpersonal and communication skills with the demonstrated ability to contribute to an environment which promotes teamwork
- Proven ability to solve problems and empower others to solve problems, intervening when required
- Proven ability to work independently in an efficient manner, organize personal workload, work under pressure and see assignments through to completion
- Proven ability to perform physical activities such as lifting, pushing, pulling and moving materials, equipment and supplies.
- Proven ability to make sound decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Proven ability in computer operation including knowledge of MS Office, email, internet, district automated dispatch, and work order systems.
- A valid BC driver’s license.
Individuals not currently employed by the Abbotsford School District are required to sign an "Authorization for Criminal Record Search" to permit a criminal record review. The interest of all applicants is appreciated; however, acknowledgments will only be made to those selected for an interview.