The Abbotsford School District is located on the traditional and unceded territory of the of the Stó:lō people, the Semá:th First Nation and Mathxwí First Nation. With this, we respect the longstanding relationships that Indigenous Nations have to this land, as they are the original caretakers.
Located under an hour from Vancouver, the Abbotsford School District is settled in the heart of the beautiful Fraser Valley and surrounded by spectacular mountain views.
Learn more about the Abbotsford community: https://tourismabbotsford.ca/ - www.thefraservalley.ca
Learn more about a career teaching French in BC's K-12 sector at www.enseigner.makeafuture.ca
Why the Abbotsford School District?
Every day, in every classroom and office throughout the Abbotsford School District, our employees provide a world-class, innovative educational experience for over 19,000 students. We believe that teachers continue to be drawn to the collaborative and supportive work environment that we provide. We have extensive professional development supports for new teachers, ranging from mentorship programs to leadership programs, and numerous career-pathing opportunities.
Working in public education is both challenging and rewarding, but at the Abbotsford School District we truly believe that every one of our employees has the opportunity to help children learn, grow and succeed.
Job Summary & Responsibilities
École Sandy Hill Elementary is a dual track, English and French Immersion school in the Abbotsford School District, enrolling over 450 students from Kindergarten to Grade 5. The school also houses a daycare and preschool on site. Our school is located in east Abbotsford surrounded by stunning views of the mountains and valley. Sandy Hill is a busy, vibrant community with a dedicated staff supporting the learning and growth of all our students. The school staff have established a culture of professionalism with high expectations for student learning that recognizes the diversity and equality of all learners.
The schedule for this temporary part-time FIM position is every Friday.
The starting annual salary for this part-time Elementary School Teacher position ranges from $12,125.20 to $21,243.40, with placement on the July 1, 2023 Teacher Salary Grid based on length of service and qualifications in accordance with the collective agreement.
Education & Experience
- Elementary teacher training with major/minor in French
- Major practicum work in French Immersion at the primary and intermediate levels
- Experience teaching French Immersion at the primary and intermediate levels
- Coursework in Early Childhood Education
- Eligible for B.C. Certification
- Satisfactory teacher evaluation and/or final practicum reports
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to demonstrate fluency in written and spoken French, plus a good working knowledge of English
- Ability to demonstrate thorough knowledge of the Primary French Immersion program
- Ability to demonstrate thorough knowledge and recent experience with a balanced literacy program including guided reading and assessment
All teachers are expected to demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills: Ability to consider and respond appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of others in a tactful, compassionate and respectful manner.
- Organization & Planning: Ability to plan and organize for effective instruction, differentiation and assessment
- Classroom Management: Create and maintain an optimal learning environment for each student while managing student behavior and classroom dynamics.
- Facilitation & Engagement: Ability to capture and maintain students’ interest, effort, participation and enthusiasm for both the content and the process of learning
- Assessment & Coaching: Utilize balanced assessment and feedback to improve student learning including the use of formative and summative assessment strategies.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Collaborate with others to achieve group goals and objectives
- Caring & Inclusiveness: Create and maintain an environment that is caring, inclusive and supportive of all students
- Flexibility & Adaptability: Demonstrate flexibility in the ability to adjust and adapt to changing circumstances
View Teaching Competencies Detail