School District #8 (Kootenay Lake) is located in the southern Interior of British Columbia, Canada and serves the communities of Kaslo, Meadow Creek, Crawford Bay, Creston, Wynndel, Yahk, Nelson, Salmo, South Slocan, Winlaw, Slocan, and the surrounding rural areas. Our area is beautiful, vibrant, a fantastic place to raise children, has a world-renowned Arts and Entertainment community, and easily accesses a variety of amazing outdoor pursuits.
Our visionary, creative team of 900 staff focuses on providing the best opportunities we can for about 5,000 students and their families. Our mission is to inspire and support each learner to thrive in a caring learning environment.
The daily pay range for teachers teaching on call is $309.28 to $465.09, with placement on the range based on experience and qualifications in accordance with the collective agreement.
This application is to be on the School District #8 (Kootenay Lake) Teacher Teaching On Call (TTOC) list for the 2024-2025 school year.
In order to be considered, new applicants must supply their portfolio and upload all requested qualifications (transcripts, certificate, TRB card, evaluations or practica evaluations, qualifications/degrees). Classifications will be determined for new TTOCs based on qualifications, credentials, and recent (within 5 years) experience.
APPLICANTS WHO ARE NOT YET BC CERTIFIED MUST BE CERTIFIED BY THE TIME INTERVIEWS FOR NEW EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ARE HELD, OR HAVE THEIR CREDENTIALING SUBSTANTIALLY IN PROGRESS WITH THE TEACHER REGULATION BRANCH BY THAT TIME.
New applicants will be expected to work
Please note that even as a returning TTOC, you will be required to interview and attend an onboarding session to be active on our TTOC list.
You are not required to have to resubmit your credentials/qualifications/etc. Please upload blank documents to bypass the system and apply to this posting. Should you have any difficulties, please contact Chandra Moon at email@example.com.
All Applicants must:
- be certified to teach in the Province of British Columbia through the BC Teacher Regulation Branch, with fees paid and certificate active for the above year.
- have a Bachelor of Education (minimum) with at least one recognized teaching major/area/focus.
All Applicants must also:
- be prepared to work positively towards the fulfillment of the District goals, and be prepared to work in a collaborative/team environment
- be prepared to travel throughout the Family of Schools, sometimes with short notice and in adverse weather conditions
- teach the K-12 curricula using the new curriculum concepts: Big Ideas, Curricular Competencies, and Content Learning Standards within the context of Know,
- at the K-12 level, have an understanding of how the concepts of the new curricula may be integrated into the classroom
- be familiar with
- be adept with using technology (e.g.: MyEdBC, etc) for attendance, communication, and reporting purposes
- have significant understanding and experience with classroom management principles and strategies that
- have significant understanding and experience with differentiating instruction in the classroom to meet the needs of all learners
- have significant understanding of how to Indigenize the curriculum and of how to incorporate and respect the voice of Indigenous Peoples in the classroom
- have significant understanding of how to Include all learners, and how to ensure that all learners' needs are incorporated into the classroom
Preference will be given to those applicants who:
- have recent significant successful teaching experience and training in identified teachable subject areas and/or grade levels
- have training/experience in the use of quality assessment practices (e.g.: differentiated instruction, criterion-referenced grading, Assessment For, As and Of Learning).
Teaching classifications will be based on those areas and grades that a TTOC has the academic qualifications to teach, and has recent demonstrated successful experience teaching. You may also be required to provide back up (proof of certification/teaching experience etc.), for your subjects you indicate.
Our callout system is electronic, through SmartFindExpress. TTOCs are strongly encouraged to have a computer that they can use for accepting jobs. Telephone access is also available; however, the system is more easily accessed
Applicants must be prepared to actively teach on the Teacher-Teaching-On-Call list in SD8 for the 24/25 year or may not be recalled the following year.
If you have any questions, please contact Chandra Moon - Executive Assistant to the Director of Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org
WHILE WE SINCERELY APPRECIATE ALL APPLICATIONS, ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED. PLEASE NOTE THAT WE MAY CONTACT REFERENCES PRIOR TO SCHEDULING AN INTERVIEW.
School District 8 supports equity hiring for Indigenous applicants.
*If you are experiencing any technical issues with your application process to contact Make A Future's customer service line as HR cannot upload or assist with these types of issues. We also cannot accept documents via email such as cover letters/resumes/transcripts/teaching reports via email as they do need to be part of the employee's Make a Future profile.