The Vancouver Board of Education welcomes applications for:
Continuing Education Assistant (School & Student Support A)
This posting is restricted to candidates of Aboriginal ancestry.
If you do not self-identify as Aboriginal you will not be considered for these positions
The VBE has been given approval from the Human Rights Tribunal for a Special Program under s. 42(3) of the Human Rights Code. Under this special program, the VBE seeks to preferentially hire Indigenous persons to a variety of positions. Therefore, each applicant may wish to provide, on a voluntary basis, information whether they identify as an Indigenous person.
Location: Xpey' Elementary School
Extensive Benefits Package and Municipal Pension Plan
Working months: September to June each year
Hours: 6.5 hours per day
Salary: $29.67 per hour
The District welcomes qualified applicants who value equity and diversity as essential to excellence. The distinct makeup of the VSB community strives to support the inclusion of all voices. You may wish to share some lived experiences that demonstrate your connections to our diverse student community.
In this position, you will:
- Provide school & student support to assist school as assigned
- Under the direction of a senior member of the team, implement individual programs and contracts for students who are unable to function in a regular classroom setting
- Evaluate and maintain records of student progress; discuss with team members any changes which may be made to an individual student's program
- Support parent engagement by organizing workshops and events
- Coordinate with community agencies as required
- Organize and participate in a wide variety of field trips, sports, social, recreational and craft activities
- Support students in community-based programming such as work experience, travel training, and relevant community outings
- Provide support to students with respect to their social and emotional problems
- Manage verbal and/or physical “acting out” behaviour
- Supervise students, as required, and deal with disciplinary problems as they occur
- Prepare instructional aid materials; set up and operates instructional aid equipment
- Perform other work within the job band as required
- Completion of Grade 12
- Completion of a recognized Post-Secondary Special Education Assistant program, or a Degree/Diploma in a related field, and/or extensive experience in an equivalent field
- Ability to lift and position students of varying weights
- Experience with self-regulation, calm down and fine motor development strategies
- Knowledge of Pix/Boardmaker
- Experience with Positive Behaviour Support training
- Where applicable, must possess or be willing to obtain an Occupational First Aid Certificate and will be required to perform Occupational First Aid duties if assigned by the Principal. OFA attendants may, at the direction of Employee Services, be required to perform emergency coverage at other locations
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written
- The following are considered to be an asset:
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training (e.g., CPI or MANDT)
- An excellent practicum or work evaluation
- Experience using techniques of Applied Behaviour Analysis
- Completion of POPARD coursework
- Ability to speak a second language
Your application must include:
**Only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted**
A School & Student Support worker is hired to work throughout the Vancouver School District and not for a particular school or a restricted set of duties. Although in posted vacancies specific reference may be made to a school and to the duties associated with that assignment, Employee Services may transfer staff within the system in certain circumstances as deemed appropriate.
HOW TO APPLY
- Create a profile on Make a Future under the category, “ECE, EA/TA/ERW, Clerical, Secretarial, Administrative, Custodians, etc.”
- While you are logged in, search for this ad and click on "Apply Now"
- Upload all supporting documents and answer all job posting questions.
- An email will be sent to you confirming that your application has been received.