School District No. 42 meets the learning needs of over 16,000 students of all ages in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows, and is defined by its determination to keep student learning and growth at the heart of all its decisions. With an annual budget of over $200M and over 2,000 staff, the school district provides K-12 educational services in 22 elementary schools, six secondary schools, and two alternate schools. It also provides a variety of certificate programs and relevant quality life-long learning opportunities through Ridge Meadows College and Continuing Education. For more information about our school district, visit www.sd42.ca.
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources and the District Principal, Human Resources, the Manager, Employment Services as a member of the Human Resources leadership team, will build and grow School District No. 42’s talent program through the development and implementation best practice programs for sourcing, recruitment, selection, and employment of staff.
2. In consultation with the Director, Human Resources, lead the development, implementation and maintenance of best practice human resource policies, specifically in the areas of recruitment, selection, and staffing guided by the School District’s overall recruitment and retention strategy.
3. Monitor staffing levels and conduct staffing needs assessments on a regular basis. Analyze data including any leave or resignation trends to ensure sufficient staffing levels are maintained and hiring needs are addressed in a timely manner. Maintain ongoing communication with dispatch to ensure timely information flow.
4. Manage and direct the work of the Dispatch Coordinators including:
5. Develop and maintain a variety of creative candidate sourcing streams to source qualified applicants. Solicit input from supervisors and peers for other avenues to source specialized talent for general and difficult to fill vacancies.
6. Represent the School District at career fairs, hiring sessions for new graduates and recruitment information sessions. Develop presentations and any related materials for recruitment related events. Establish and maintain long-term working relationships with post-secondary institutes such as colleges and universities and coordinate practicum placement opportunities throughout the School District to promote a positive experience for the students, sharing work opportunities available to them. Coordinate School District hiring orientation sessions for new graduates and practicum students.
7. Coordinate and conduct training for excluded management on attraction, recruitment, and selection best practices for both external and internal recruitment. Participate on internal recruitment panels where necessary. In a group or one-on-one setting, coach supervisors in understanding the application of Human Resource policies and procedures, Human Rights Code, Employment Standards Legislation, Pay Transparency Act and any other applicable legislation as it relates to the recruitment and
8. Continuously and actively seek out opportunities to improve upon or update School District recruitment practices. Maintain currency with best practices for attraction, recruitment, and selection processes.
9. Lead, from a user perspective, software implementation for dispatch and onboarding in HRIS or other programs.
10. Assist the District Principal of Human Resources and/or the Director, Human Resources in the research and analysis of historical human resources activities or data (e.g., grievance complaints, collective agreement negotiations history, and matters pertaining
to disciplinary action, etc.).
11. Participate in the development of the Human Resources Operational plan and engage in the development or revision and implementation of related activities.
12. Prepare a variety of reports for the Director, Human Resources, District Principal, Human Resources, and/or Senior Manager, Human Resources as requested.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned while ensuring alignment with departmental goals and objectives.
1. A post-secondary degree in Human Resources or a related program. CPHR designation preferred.
2. A minimum of five to seven years’ human resources experience directly related to innovative attraction, recruitment, and selection processes in a unionized environment; experience within the education sector is an asset.
3. Demonstrated success in progressive leadership roles combined with previous supervisory experience.
4. Excellent knowledge and understanding of HR best practices and relevant collective agreements and legislation including BC Employment Standards, Pay Transparency Act, and the Human Rights Code.
5. Proven project management skills and the ability to successfully deliver/execute initiatives, programs, and/or policies.
6. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain lasting relationships with a broad range of external organizations, stakeholders, and staff. Strong negotiation skills.
7. Superior communication, interpersonal and management skills with effective problem-solving, conflict resolution and decision- making skills. Ability to work in a manner that is flexible, sensitive, with tact and compassion. Proven ability to exercise sound judgment, as well as to actively and objectively listen and understand information presented.
8. Experience conducting research, analyzing results, and writing reports that include recommendations for evidence-informed human resource matters.
9. Excellent organization, prioritization, and documentation management skills.
10. Strong proficiency with a variety of software programs including MS Office and knowledge of Human Resource Information Systems.
11. Ability to perform functions of the position both independently and participate effectively within a highly cohesive team environment.
12. Valid BC Driver’s License.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The salary range is $84,730-$105,913 plus an excellent benefits package. To apply, please click "apply online" below and submit your cover letter, resume, district application form and supporting documentation. The district appreciates the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our staff members are the foundation of our system. When you join our school district, you become part of a talented community of educators and support staff dedicated to enriching the lives of all students and helping them achieve success.