Casual Clerical - $29.56 per hour
Mission Public Schools is dedicated to providing our students with an educational environment that nurtures the development of an Educated Citizen. Located in the beautiful Fraser Valley, Mission is a vibrant and diverse community with over 6200 students and 850 employees. We are committed to providing a safe, equitable, and inclusive educational system for all students in our thirteen urban and rural elementary schools, two middle schools, one secondary school, distributed learning centre, alternative learning centre, and vocational and technical college.
Perform secretarial work of a variety of tasks in an elementary school office. While some of these duties are of limited complexity, other duties involve a series of tasks that are more complex. Employees in this position must work effectively with interruptions.
Some independence of judgement based on a good understanding of school and district policies and guidelines, is a component of the position. The secretary may adjust the work schedule in anticipation of, or to meet, changing priorities throughout the school year. Unusual or difficult problems are referred to the supervisor – the school Administrator, or to the appropriate resource person at the school board office.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Acts as a secretary to the school Administrator, arranges appointments, sets up and transcribes correspondence, and processes confidential matters with discretion
- Performs a variety of secretarial duties, including but not limited to: telephone, relaying messages, reception, maintains filing system, photocopying, faxing, record keeping, expense claims, processing of report cards, sort and distribute mail and operation of standard office equipment
- Maintain database information using district software as required including but not limited to: student registration, demographics, medical/legal alerts, attendance, and incident reporting
- Typing of routine and confidential correspondence including but not limited to: bulletins, newsletters, reports, forms, report cards, IEP’s, staff handbooks and parent handbooks
- Prepares standard reports including but not limited to: monthly Principal Report on TTOC and staff absences, fire drills, accident/incident reports, and collects and prepares data for District and Ministry forms
- Maintain school accounts including school cash, issue receipts and cheques, deposit funds, monthly bank reconciliations, GST summary and reconciliation of petty cash
- Monitor/maintain inventory and place/receive/verify supplies and equipment orders
- Submit maintenance work orders and transportation requisitions
- Provide Health Unit with required information for medical alerts, kindergarten hearing/vision screening and student immunizations and other reports as required.
- May administer minor first aid and advise parents of injury
- May at the Administrator’s discretion, provide clerical assistance for the Library
- May provide assistance to itinerant staff
- Performs other related duties as may be reasonably expected of a person in this position
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of Grade 12 plus post-secondary education in office administration with previous related office experience over 6 months up to 1 year and minimum typing speed of 45 words per minute
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with standard software programs including word processing, spreadsheets and databases (e.g. Microsoft office)
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in office practices and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in basic bookkeeping
- Sound knowledge of Business English, spelling, arithmetic, grammar and punctuation
- Demonstrated ability to organize work flow and office systems such that work is prioritized to meet deadlines while dealing with interruptions
- Ability to communicate effectively and demonstrate good public relations skills, exercising good judgement in dealing with a variety of student, staff, parent and public enquiries
- Ability to work co-operatively and maintain effective working relationships
- Working knowledge of school district operations, policies and procedures
Note: A Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check will be required from successful applicants, with a review every five (5) years.
- Qualified applicants are invited to submit an application package which should include the following:
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for 3 professional references (Note: No references will be contacted prior to interview or without applicant permission)
- The interest of all applicants is appreciated; however, only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.