School District # 8 is looking for a qualified candidate to work in as a Secretary. The awarded applicant will work under the direction of District Principal MYED to perform a variety of administrative, financial and secretarial duties. The nature of this position will require the secretary to work with constant interruptions and minimal supervision while meeting deadlines. Attention to detail, working with spreadsheets, constant interruptions, and data transfer are all critical components of this position.
All awarded applicants will be required to join the CUPE Local 748 Union.
Note: A Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check will be required from successful applicants, with a review every five (5) years.
This position is a new allocation.
Applicants will possess a recognized Office Administration program certificate from a post-secondary institution or equivalent business training institute. Preference will be given to candidates with recent related experience.
Responsibilities will vary and may include the following:
• monitoring and maintaining student attendance data.
• responsible for tasks related to accounting and budgeting and purchasing of supplies and services
• providing administrative support including correspondence, month end reports, organizing and maintaining files
• working cooperatively with all staff, students and public
• recognizing, respecting and maintaining the confidential nature of all information related to students, parents and staff
• manage time effectively in order to meet deadlines
- possess a recognized Office Administration program certificate
from a post secondary institution or equivalent business training
institute. Preference will be given to candidates with related
experience. Note: this relates only to new hires and current District
personnel who have not held a Secretary position in the past.
- ability to exercise initiative, independent judgment and
discretion. In the absence of the Principal or Site Supervisor, may be
required to make appropriate decisions and choices in a variety of
situations and emergencies involving students, teachers, parents and
- minimum typing speed of 55 words per minute.
- advanced knowledge and recent demonstrated ability to use
relevant software programs and computer applications, including the
ability to import/export data amongst programs.
- recent demonstrated proficiency in accounting principles and
procedures, and software including word processing, spreadsheets and
- ability to establish, organize and manage effective office
procedures and prioritize the work of the office (by using knowledge of
typical school cycles to predict upcoming workloads such as report
cards, etc.) without supervision.
- understand, interpret and apply current Ministry requirements
for data collection, school funding, District/school reporting
processes and/or B.C. grad requirements.
- excellent communication and problem solving skills.
- excellent knowledge of business English, spelling, grammar, punctuation, arithmetic and general office practices.
- accountable for accuracy and attention to detail in all aspects of work.
- ability to work as a team member to establish effective working
relationships using tact and diplomacy with the school community.
SD8 SECRETARY JOB DESCRIPTION:
employee who, under the direction of the District Principal MYED,
performs a variety of administrative, financial and clerical duties.
a recognized Office Administration program certificate from a
post-secondary institution or equivalent business training institute.
Preferences will be given to candidates with related experience. Note:
This relates only to new hires and current District personnel who have
not held a position as a Secretary in the past.
and demonstrated competence in the use of computers, word processing,
spreadsheets, data bases (e.g. Microsoft Office, Excel, School
Administrative System) is essential.
to exercise initiative, independent judgment and discretion. In the
absence of the Principal or Site Supervisor, may be required to make
appropriate decisions and choices in a variety of situations and
emergencies involving students, teachers, parents and the public.
4. Ability to direct work to others as part of job duties.
5. Ability to perform accounting duties related to the maintenance of trust accounts, petty cash and school/site buildings.
to be part of a team, maintain a professional attitude and
confidentiality in working relationships with all school personnel,
students, parents and the public.
7. Ability to work independently, and to manage time effectively with excellent organizational skills.
to follow School District and school/site policies, procedures, rules,
regulations and guidelines and the provisions of the various
9. Ability to handle reception duties and deal with the public courteously.
10. Ability to adapt to frequent technological change (training will be provided).
11. Must have understanding and knowledge of safe work practices.
12. Perform other job related duties as may be assigned.
For more information please contact Brittany Deuling at email: email@example.com
School District 8 supports equity hiring for Indigenous applicants.
*If you are experiencing any technical issues with your application process to contact Make A Future's customer service line as HR cannot upload or assist with these types of issues. We also cannot accept documents via email such as cover letters/resumes/transcripts/teaching reports via email as they do need to be part of the employee's Make a Future profile.