School District 8 (Kootenay Lake) is nestled in the Southeast corner of British Columbia. We are a vibrant area, covering 6 "families of schools" in the centres of Creston, Crawford Bay, Kaslo/Meadow Creek, Nelson, Salmo, and the Slocan Valley. Our area is beautiful, vibrant, a fantastic place to raise children, has a world-renowned Arts and Entertainment community, and easily accesses a variety of amazing outdoor pursuits.
Our FOCUS.LEARN.EXCEL philosophy and our Board of Education's Learning Goals of: Literacy, Numeracy, Indigenization and Inclusion guide our practice with our students. We focus on excellence for all learners in a nurturing environment.
This application is to be on the Teacher - Teacher On Call list for the 2023-2024 school year, for School District #8 (Kootenay Lake).
This application is open to ALL APPLICANTS - BOTH THOSE WHO ARE CURRENTLY EMPLOYED WITH SCHOOL DISTRICT #8 (KOOTENAY LAKE) AND THOSE WHO ARE CURRENTLY NOT EMPLOYED WITH SCHOOL DISTRICT #8 (KOOTENAY LAKE) AND WISH TO BE ON THE TTOC LIST FOR NEXT YEAR.
All applications to this list are for 2023/2024 SCHOOL YEAR .
In order to be considered, new applicants must supply their portfolio and upload all requested qualifications (transcripts, certificate, TRB card, evaluations or practica evaluations, qualifications/degrees). Classifications will be determined for new TTOCs based on qualifications, credentials, and recent (within 5 years) experience.
APPLICANTS WHO ARE NOT YET BC-CERTIFIED MUST BE CERTIFIED BY THE TIME INTERVIEWS FOR NEW EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ARE HELD, OR HAVE THEIR CREDENTIALING SUBSTANTIALLY IN PROGRESS WITH THE TEACHER REGULATION BRANCH BY THAT TIME.
New applicants will be expected to work
Please note that even as a returning TTOC, you will be required to interview and attend an onboarding session to be active on our TTOC list.
You are not required to have to resubmit your credentials/qualifications/etc. Please upload blank documents to bypass the system and apply to this posting. Should you have any difficulties, please contact Brittany Deuling.
All Applicants must:
- be certified to teach in the Province of British Columbia through the BC Teacher Regulation Branch, with fees paid and certificate active for the above year.
- have a Bachelor of Education (minimum) with at least one recognized teaching major/area/focus.
All Applicants must also:
- be prepared to work positively towards the fulfillment of the District goals, and be prepared to work in a collaborative/team environment
- be prepared to travel throughout the Family of Schools, sometimes with short notice and in adverse weather conditions
- teach the K-12 curricula using the new curriculum concepts: Big Ideas, Curricular Competencies, and Content Learning Standards within the context of Know,
- at the K-12 level, have an understanding of how the concepts of the new curricula may be integrated into the classroom
- be familiar with
- be adept with using technology (e.g.: MyEdBC, etc) for attendance, communication, and reporting purposes
- have significant understanding and experience with classroom management principles and strategies that
- have significant understanding and experience with differentiating instruction in the classroom to meet the needs of all learners
- have significant understanding of how to Indigenize the curriculum and of how to incorporate and respect the voice of Indigenous Peoples in the classroom
- have significant understanding of how to Include all learners, and how to ensure that all learners' needs are incorporated into the classroom
Preference will be given to those applicants who:
- have recent significant successful teaching experience and training in identified teachable subject areas and/or grade levels
- have training/experience in the use of quality assessment practices (e.g.: differentiated instruction, criterion-referenced grading, Assessment For, As and Of Learning).
Teaching classifications will be based on those areas and grades that a TTOC has the academic qualifications to teach, and has recent demonstrated successful experience teaching. You may also be required to provide back up (proof of certification/teaching experience etc.), for your subjects you indicate.
Our callout system is electronic, through SmartFindExpress. TTOCs are strongly encouraged to have a computer that they can use for accepting jobs. Telephone access is also available; however, the system is more easily accessed
Applicants must be prepared to actively teach on the Teacher-Teaching-On-Call list in SD8 for the 23/24 year or may not be recalled the following year.
If you have any questions, please contact Chandra Moon - Executive Assistant to the Director of Human Resources at: email@example.com
WHILE WE SINCERELY APPRECIATE ALL APPLICATIONS, ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED. PLEASE NOTE THAT WE MAY CONTACT REFERENCES PRIOR TO SCHEDULING AN INTERVIEW.
School District 8 supports equity hiring for Indigenous applicants.
*If you are experiencing any technical issues with your application process to contact Make A Future's customer service line as HR cannot upload or assist with these types of issues. We also cannot accept documents via email such as cover letters/resumes/transcripts/teaching reports via email as they do need to be part of the employee's Make a Future profile.