School District 8 (Kootenay Lake) is nestled in the Southeast corner of British Columbia. We are a vibrant area, covering 6 "families of schools" in the centres of Creston, Crawford Bay, Kaslo/Meadow Creek, Nelson, Salmo, and the Slocan Valley. Our area is beautiful, vibrant, a fantastic place to raise children, has a world-renowned Arts and Entertainment community, and easily accesses a variety of amazing outdoor pursuits.
Our FOCUS.LEARN.EXCEL philosophy and our Board of Education's Learning Goals of: Literacy, Numeracy, Indigenization and Inclusion guide our practice with our students. We focus on excellence for all learners in a nurturing environment.
School District #8 (Kootenay Lake) has a vacancy for a 1.0 FTE Continuing Counselling and Careers Teacher at Kootenay River Secondary School in Creston, BC.
The awarded applicant will be innovative, creative, and demonstrate understanding of the BC Ed Plan and the district directions. They will be a person who is continually striving to improve pedagogy in a changing educational environment.
• Bachelor of Education (Secondary) with experience in the above noted areas;
• A valid BC teaching certificate and current membership in the Teacher Regulation Branch.
Teachers applying for this position must possess the following attributes:
• Willingness to work closely with students, colleagues and parents;
• Excellent classroom management skills;
• Knowledge of current instructional practices and the new curriculum, as well as practices such as differentiated instruction;
• Strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills;
• A proven ability to differentiate learning based on student need;
• Knowledge of a variety of strategies for managing student behaviour with respect and dignity for the students;
• Knowledge and recent successful experience with direct learning based on student data;
• Demonstrated knowledge and implementation of assessment for learning strategies and the incorporation of those strategies in student learning; and
• Knowledge of a variety of current learning strategies.
For more information please contact Principal Brian Hamm at 250-428-2274 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Vice-Principal Mike Nelson at 250-2274 or email@example.com
School District 8 supports equity hiring for Indigenous applicants.
*If you are experiencing any technical issues with your application process to contact Make A Future's customer service line as HR cannot upload or assist with these types of issues. We also cannot accept documents via email such as cover letters/resumes/transcripts/teaching reports via email as they do need to be part of the employee's Make a Future profile.