School District 8 (Kootenay Lake) is nestled in the Southeast corner of British Columbia. We are a vibrant area, covering 6 "families of schools" in the centres of Creston, Crawford Bay, Kaslo/Meadow Creek, Nelson, Salmo, and the Slocan Valley. Our area is beautiful, vibrant, a fantastic place to raise children, has a world-renowned Arts and Entertainment community, and easily accesses a variety of amazing outdoor pursuits.
Our FOCUS.LEARN.EXCEL philosophy and our Board of Education's Learning Goals of: Literacy, Numeracy, Indigenization and Inclusion guide our practice with our students. We focus on excellence for all learners in a nurturing environment.
The awarded applicant will have recent successful experience working collaboratively with school staff, will be able to work closely with the school team, and will be knowledgeable and able to work appropriately with students who have learning challenges. The awarded applicant will be innovative, creative, and demonstrate understanding of the BC Ed Plan and the district directions. They will be a person who is continually striving to improve pedagogy in a changing educational environment.
The successful applicant for this position will be responsible for working in a pod-model with the partnering grade 9 French Immersion teacher. The successful applicant will be responsible for delivering the Français langue and Sciences humaines curriculum to two groups of students while the partnering teacher will be responsible for les Maths and les Sciences.
• Bachelor of Education (Middle or Secondary) with a degree/major/specialization or diploma in French (Immersion; Second Language; etc);
• A valid BC teaching certificate and current membership in the Teacher Regulation Branch;
• Fluency in French (oral and written) is required for this specialized position
Teachers applying for this position must possess the following attributes:
• Willingness and ability to work closely with parents;
• Excellent classroom management skills;
• Knowledge and application of current inclusive instructional practices and curriculum;
• Demonstration of inclusive education practices;
• Strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills;
• Recent, demonstrated successful experience in an elementary or middle school setting;
• A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues;
• Excellent organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to be flexible;
• Familiarity with Middle School Philosophy, the needs of Middle Years Learners and enjoy working with this age group;
• Work is in an atmosphere of collaboration with staff in both the English and French Immersion classrooms to build quality of programs
The ideal candidate will be expected to:
• Deliver a full program in French to grade 9 students, including core French and English
• Build an inclusive environment for all students to succeed
• Deliver offerings in the Lifelong Explorations (student leadership)
• Work in an atmosphere of collaboration with staff to build consistency and quality of programs
• Communicate effectively with staff and parents
• Be familiar with the BC Ed plan, school district board goals and school goals
• Implement school wide strategies to support the school board’s student expectations, school and class needs
• Support Individual Education Plans in a collaborative team environment
• Demonstrate the ability to use inclusive instruction seamlessly to meet the learning needs of diverse learners
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in working from an inclusion perspective to address diverse learning needs.
• Participate in on-going professional development and develop a personal growth plan
• Exhibit a thorough knowledge of the Middle school level programs and of current assessment & learning practices
• Demonstrate expertise in use of authentic assessment strategies
• Be familiar with the use of learning portfolios and a letter grade free reporting format
• Be willing to engage students in meaningful community service activities
• Demonstrate a willingness to work collaboratively with others in developing school and district-based initiatives
• Demonstrate knowledge of using technology to support student learning
For more information please contact Tim Mushumanski at email@example.com or Mark Bonikowsky at firstname.lastname@example.org
School District 8 supports equity hiring for Indigenous applicants.
*If you are experiencing any technical issues with your application process to contact Make A Future's customer service line as HR cannot upload or assist with these types of issues. We also cannot accept documents via email such as cover letters/resumes/transcripts/teaching reports via email as they do need to be part of the employee's Make a Future profile.