Exciting career opportunity with a growing School District!
On-call positions available
If you enjoy working with children and like driving, a career as a Bus Driver could be what you are looking for. Having the ability to make the children feel comfortable is just as important as knowing how to drive the bus. As a Bus Driver, you will become an important person in these school children’s lives, ensuring they get to and from school safely. A Bus Driver usually works early in the morning then late in the afternoon with a long break in-between. There is also the option of driving for field trips or other school activities for extra hours. A bus driving career is an ideal job if you prefer not to work evenings or weekends. Plus, you get the winter and spring breaks off as well as the summer!
About the District….
The Sooke School District is the fastest growing school district on Vancouver Island and one of the fastest growing districts in British Columbia and employs approximately 1,800 staff and has a student population of over 12,000. The District operates in five municipalities: Langford, Colwood, Metchosin, Sooke and the Highlands and acknowledges the nations on which our schools are built, including T’Sou-ke Nation, Sc'ianew Nation, Pacheedaht Nation, and all South Island Coast Salish Nations, specifically Esquimalt Nation and Songhees Nation. Our vision is to honour student voice and choice through engaging, purposeful and experiential learning in a safe and respectful community.
What we offer…
What you need to apply...
As a Bus Driver we are looking for candidates that have a passion for working with children and demonstrate patience and understanding to support a welcoming and safe environment for children. We are looking candidates who have the following education and experience:
How to apply…
School District No. 62 (Sooke) is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment. We believe in a learning and work environment that is welcoming and safe that values, reflects and appreciates differences.
1. Secondary school graduation.
2. Holder of a valid Class II B. C. Driver's Licence, with air brake endorsement.
3. Must be willing to obtain a valid First Aid Certificate.
4. Experience with transporting students an asset.
5. Minimum of one month experience driving a Class 1 or 2 vehicle with air. (i.e. 80 hours)
6. Up to date knowledge of the Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations.
7. Ability and patience to deal with children in a kind and diplomatic manner.
RESPONSIBLE TO : Manager, Transportation
SUPERVISES : N/A
JOB GOAL : To ensure that school children arrive at school in a safe and efficient manner.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES :
1. Drives the bus in a safe manner and adheres to route schedules as determined by the Transportation
2. Deals with passengers in a firm, yet diplomatic, manner.
3. Checks the bus as required and reports any necessary repairs to the Transportation Supervisor.
4. Cleans the bus as required.
5. Drives regular bus routes as required.
6. Conforms with the Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations.
7. May have the opportunity, from time to time, to drive extra bus runs.
8. Performs duties of other categories ‑ and is paid accordingly during non bus driving time.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT : All teaching days, September through June.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.