Work in BC’s most culturally diverse and urban school district, Vancouver School Board. Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
The Vancouver Board of Education welcomes applications for the position of:
PAYROLL & BENEFITS TECHNICIAN
(Technical & Resource Support D)
**Two Positions Currently Available**
(1 Permanent and 1 Temporary Position)
Location: 1580 West Broadway
Hours of Work: 35 hours/week
Salary: $37.27 per hour + Extensive Benefits Plan and Municipal Pension
Salary: $37.27 per hour + 20% in lieu of benefits if not contributing to MPP
$37.27 per hour + 14% in lieu of benefits, if contributing to MPP
Contract End date: November 2023
Base salary for these positions will increase to $39.32/hour effective 01 July 2023
In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for the timely completion of payroll and benefit deduction processing for an assigned employee group.
- Perform complex calculations for a variety of situations such as new hires, leaves, position changes, and terminations.
- Recognize potential payroll and benefit problems; investigate, resolve, and report on problems as required.
- Identify, investigate, resolve, and report on payroll, benefits or pension deduction problems.
- Supervise work performed by staff in lower pay bands including providing training and ensuring their work is completed accurately and on time.
- Provide information to employees regarding their payroll and balance records as well as information to departmental officers and staff members on methods used in computing pay and answer enquiries from outside sources.
- Monitor and reconcile payroll benefit enrolments and reporting against payroll and billing, initiate corrective action when needed and/or make appropriate recommendations to management, timely submission plan enrolment and adjusting entries.
- Prepare workbooks, templates, letters, and forms required for validating and coordinate the schedule in adherence to the payroll calendar deadlines.
- Process and enroll employees in benefit and pension group plans.
- Reconcile significant volumes of data requiring complex formulas, VLOOKUP or XLOOKUP and pivot tables to validate accuracy and completeness of the benefit calculations and deductions compared to vendor invoices.
- Write queries and create ad-hoc reporting and extract data from the data base.
- Provide technical and resource support to the Division.
- Perform other work within the job band as assigned.
- Completion of grade 12 and currently hold a valid Payroll Compliance Practitioner designation from The Canadian Payroll Association.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in Payroll and accounting.
- Strong knowledge of Payroll legislation, Canada Revenue Agency Benefits and Pension.
- Working knowledge of federal and provincial laws, Board regulations and union agreements that are applicable to wage and salary administration, benefits and entitlements.
- Must be able to work independently with little direction, exercise a high level of initiative, problem solve complex issues and demonstrate strong communication skills.
- Candidate must be able to thrive in a fast-paced and deadline driven working environment.
- Must be able to pass the following assessments: Excel (75+%), Accounting and Payroll.
- Must have or be willing to obtain supervisory skills training.
Your application must include:
- Cover letter
- 3 References-contact information for your last direct supervisors/managers (names, phone numbers and email addresses)
**This posting is on-going until filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted regarding an interview**
The District welcomes qualified applicants who value equity and diversity as essential to excellence. The distinct makeup of the VSB community strives to support the inclusion of all voices. You may wish to share some lived experiences that demonstrate your connections to our diverse student community.
MAKE A FUTURE APPLICATION PROCESS
- If you do not have a profile on Make a Future, please create a profile under the category, “ECE, EA/TA/ERW, Clerical, Secretarial, Administrative, Custodians, etc.”
- Once you have created your profile then, while you are logged in, please search this ad again and then click the "apply now" button at the end of this ad. You will then be able to apply and upload any supporting documents to the competition and answer the job posting questions.
- You will automatically receive an email from this website letting you know your application to the competition has been received.