School District No. 42 (SD42) meets the learning needs of approximately 16,000 students of all ages in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows, and is defined by its determination to keep student learning and growth at the heart of all its decisions. With an annual budget of over $200M and over 2,000 staff, the school district provides K-12 educational services in 22 elementary schools, six secondary schools, and two alternate schools. It also provides a variety of certificate programs and relevant quality life-long learning opportunities through Ridge Meadows College and Continuing Education.
SD42 is looking for qualified applicants interested in working as a Transcriber (TypeWell) in our Learning Services Department, under the supervision of the administration of Learning Services and the direction of the teachers of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. This position requires the incumbent to use TypeWell to transcribe for students with hearing loss, by converting spoken language into text in a “meaning-to-meaning” format. The Transcriber will be involved with captioning all media as well as providing transcription services in intermediate and secondary classes, and school sponsored extra-curricular events for students who need real-time access to auditory information and a complete set of notes. The district will reimburse the course costs for the incumbent who is successful in meeting both the position qualifications and the prescreening criteria for TypeWell (which includes screening tests for grammar, listening skills, and typing speed (minimum 60 wpm, no errors), upon the successful completion of the online TypeWell training. The training itself requires an intensive 6-12 week part time commitment outside of work hours. Additional information can be viewed at: https://typewell.com/transcriber-training/ or http://www.bcit.ca/files/pcas/pdf/transcriber_trainee_selection.pdf.
• Successful completion of Grade 12 plus completion of TypeWell Transcriber training (transcription for Deaf and Hard of Hearing) combined with 3-months of experience and typing skills of 60 wpm without errors.
• Excellent listening skills and strong short-term memory.
• Proficiency with laptop computers, internet, Microsoft Office and video editing applications.
• Excellent oral and written English skills including grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and sentence structure and be screened for and assessed as “easy-to-speechread.”
• Demonstrated ability to listen attentively for detail and re-state quickly and accurately. Ability to maintain focus and concentration on information processing for extended periods of time.
• Awareness and understanding of educational and cross-cultural issues related to students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
• Ability to function and communicate as a member of a team in the support of academic programs requiring a high degree of courtesy, discretion and confidentiality.
• Valid BC Driver’s License.
This is a continuing appointment beginning September 5, 2023 working 25 hours per week, following a 10 month school term schedule. The rate of pay is $28.48/Hour plus a comprehensive benefits package.
In your application, please include your:
For more information about our School District please visit: http://www.sd42.ca/our-district/
Our staff members are the foundation of our system. When you join our school district, you become part of a talented community of educators and support staff dedicated to enriching the lives of all students and helping them achieve success.