Applications are being accepted for the position of:
HUL'Q'UMI'NUM' LANGUAGE AND CULTURAL ADVISOR
Under the general supervision of the Principal or Delegate, provides a range of
Hul’q’umi’num’ Speaking People’s cultural education and Hul’q’umi’num' language learning
opportunities to students and adults including teachers, administrators and support staff and assists in the delivery of services and Indigenous programs in classrooms, with groups or individual Indigenous students and peers and in professional development settings.
1. Acts as a Hul’q’umi’num’ Speaking People’s Knowledge Keeper and Hul’q’umi’num’ language advisor.
2. Advises and assists the teachers in the delivery of Indigenous culture and Hul'q'umi'num' language to Indigenous and non-Indigenous students.
3. Advises and assists the teachers in the integration of the Hul’q’umi’num’ Speaking People’s content and perspective into existing curriculum which may include the gathering of Indigenous resource material, organizing charts, building displays, speaking on a specific topic, arranging a guest speaker.
4. Regularly communicates and consults with Indigenous elders and community members for advice and feedback regarding Indigenous culture and language information and resources.
5. Collaborates with the Indigenous Education department to assist in developing Indigenous Culture and language programs and resources and includes sharing advice and feedback received from Indigenous elders and community members.
6. Provides advice and learning opportunities to build awareness of, and appreciation for, Hul’q’umi’num’ Speaking People’s culture and the Hul’q’umi’num’ language to school staff and students.
7. Maintains a daily written record of services provided to Indigenous students.
8. Advises teachers and support staff in writing and maintaining records of student.
progress with regards to learning about Indigenous culture and Hul'q'umi'num'
This is a unionized position with a pay rate as of July 1, 2023 of $37.42 per hour.
Job details are available on our website under job description #102: Hul'q'umi'num' Language and Culture Advisor Job Description
Applications should include a cover letter, resume and three work-related references with contact information and permission to contact. Applications will be accepted until filled and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off in the School Board Office:
Human Resources, Support Staff
Cowichan Valley School District
2557 Beverly Street, Duncan, BC V9L 2X3
Thank you for your interest in these casual positions. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.