The Takla Lake First Nation is seeking a Financial Controller/Director to join the Band's team of professionals that are responsible for a vital set of functions carried out by various departments including Finance, Programs and Services, Health, Education, Lands & Resources, Administration, Human Resources, which all contribute to the development of the Takla Lake First Nation vision and directives as well as federal and provincial laws.
The Takla Lake First Nation has an exciting opportunity for a Financial Controller/Director to join the professional team at Takla in Prince George in beautiful British Columbia. You will work within BC provincial Financial Legislation, and in accordance with Canada Public Sector Accounting Standards, you will administer and maintain the accounting systems of the Takla Lake First Nation. You will report directly to Takla's Chief and Council.
This is a full-time contract position. The successful candidate will be responsible for full-cycle accounting functions, you will supervise the accounting group and department, as well as provide accurate and timely financial and management reports to Chief and Council. To qualify for this role, the successful candidate will have:
1. A Degree in Finance or Accounting
2. A professional Accounting Designation (preferably a CPA)
3. Accounting experience working with First Nation Government is considered an Asset
4. Proven experience as a Controller, 5 plus years of direct and related experience, with at least 2 years in a supervisory role
5. Possess thorough accounting knowledge, general ledger functions, project cost accounting and data entry controls and month-end/year-end close process.
6. Experience establishing budgets forecasts preparation and the development of internal control policies and procedures.
7. Advanced computer and software user
8. Ability to prepare and explain financial reports to Chief and Council as well as Operational Managers
9. Strong track record of hiring and developing skills, monitoring and motivating staff.
The perfect candidate will have high-level experience gained from the First Nations or Government/Municipal sector; however, an equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered if you have expert knowledge of the principles and practices of fund accounting, finance and business administration. Proficient with financial accounting programs and the MS Office Suite, you will demonstrate excellence and continually seek improvement in everything that you do. Committed to preserving Aboriginal traditions and positioning the Band for success.
The successful candidate will be rewarded with a competitive salary based on experience and qualifications as well as benefits. At the Takla Lake First Nation, we foster an environment that lets you thrive at work and make the most of your life outside the office.
Some Key Responsibilities:
- Manage all accounting and operations including payroll, A/R, A/P, G/L entries, cost coding allocations and revenue recognition
- Analyze everyday financial activities and provide advice and guidance to bookkeeping/technical team.
-Undertake all aspects of financial management, including operational accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecast preparation, as well as the development of internal control policies and procedures.
-Manage and comply with funding agency and government reporting requirements
-Support client service representatives by coordinating and preparing monthly financial, budgets, forecasts and variance reports.
-Resolve technical accounting issues and ensure quality control over financial transactions and reporting.
-Support month-end and year-end close process; liaise with clients auditors to ensure efficient and timely year-end completion.
-Correspond with clients, leaders and department managers for finance information and support.
-Understand clients' operations and organization.
-Execute accounting entries and cash flow management procedures when required.
Please submit the following documents to the attention to Dr. Nicoel Cvenkel at firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for an interview.
1. Cover Letter
3. Name and Contact details for three professional references
4. Certificates and Qualifications
Application Closing Deadline:
Friday, May 12, 2017, at 4:30 pm
Thanks for taking the time to read this job posting and for applying