It is acknowledged that Central Okanagan Public Schools operates within the traditional unceded territory of the Okanagan Syilx peoples.
Central Okanagan Public Schools (School District No. 23), Kelowna BC, provides education services to approximately 24,000 students in the communities of Peachland, West Kelowna, Kelowna, Lake Country and the Regional District of Central Okanagan. We invite applications for the position of:
DISTRICT HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGER
As an integral member of our Human Resources team, you will take a leadership role in the provision of health and safety programs and services to our staff and students at 50 work locations, as well as to other school districts in the province. This position reports to the Director of Labour Relations.
Responsibilities will include the following:
• Lead the District's Health and Safety Program to assist all schools and work locations in complying with current health and safety legislation and regulations.
• Act as a resource to Principals and Departments in emergency preparedness. Liaise with local and provincial authorities in developing and testing emergency procedures.
• Participate on District Health and Safety Advisory Committees and wellness initiatives.
• Identify and coordinate employee safety training.
• In collaboration with the Health and Safety Manager – Worksafe Injury Management, will provide leadership in a Health and Safety department of nine staff.
• Manage the following:
o COR Safety Audit
o Pandemic Planning
o Online safety training library (Safe23)
o Site Joint Occupational H&S Committee (JOHSC) program
o Violence reporting/investigation (VTIH) process
o Ergonomics and Equipment Accommodation Program
o Shop and Science Lab Inspections
The successful applicant will have:
• Formal post-secondary education/training in Health and Safety Management.
• Minimum of ten years of experience as a health and safety professional, preferably in a school district setting and/or in a large multi-union environment.
• CSRP designation preferred.
This is an exempt position with a salary range of $82,750 to $103,438 plus benefits package, including participation in a defined benefit pension plan.
The successful applicant will be filling a vacancy and must be prepared to transition into this role in September.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply online complete with cover letter, resume, proof of qualifications and 3 professional references by 4:00 p.m. PST on Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at www.makeafuture.ca