Surrey Christian School is a PreK-12 school of over 1,200 students in the suburbs of Vancouver. Our vision statement is “Educating for Wholeness by Engaging God’s World in the Servant Way of Jesus.” We have two elementary campuses (Fleetwood and Cloverdale) that feed into our Secondary Campus. We look for teachers who exhibit a growth mindset and get excited by the idea of being a “people of try.” To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.surreychristian.com.
Our Fleetwood Campus is now accepting applications for a Vice Principal for the 2020-2021 school year.
We are seeking a visionary and learning-centered leader to work collaboratively on a campus administrative team that provides instructional leadership and school management for our 500-student Fleetwood elementary campus. Our mission statement: Educating for wholeness by engaging God’s world in the servant way of Jesus shapes everything we do. Surrey Christian School is a growing community with a strong staff and faculty dedicated to student learning that inspires students to become fully alive in God’s story. We strive to be a ‘people of try’ in our approach to pedagogical innovation and improving student learning. We are in North Surrey, an ethnically diverse urban and suburban community just outside of Vancouver. There are over 150 different churches represented in Surrey Christian School, a non-denominational Christian school with an open enrollment policy governed by a 12-member board of directors representing the Surrey Christian School Society membership. Surrey Christian School was founded on a Reformed worldview of Christianity and it is that distinct perspective that shapes our vision. Our confidence in this vision of God working in our world has inspired us to open our enrollment to families from other faiths.
The Fleetwood Campus Vice Principal will assist our current Principal and Vice Principal in leading and empowering an elementary faculty and staff team of over 60 members. She/he will report directly to the campus Principal and work collaboratively with both the campus administrative team and the broader administrative team (Secondary Campus Principal and Vice Principals, Cloverdale Campus Principal, Superintendent, Director of Learning, and Director of Educational Support Services) to provide leadership to the school community. The successful candidate will have proven strengths in many of the following areas: fostering student learning, integration of biblical worldview in education, managing budgets and organizing scheduling details, leading and empowering staff/faculty, shared decision-making, team building, parent engagement, building a positive student culture, working with student discipline, and a passion for Christian education that is contagious.
The position will in involve approximately 60% teaching and 40% administrative time. The teaching responsibilities would most likely be at the K-3 level and the administrative time would have a strong K-3 focus.
Please give evidence of the following criteria in your application:
- BC teaching certification (or the ability to hold such a certification)
- Master’s degree (or working towards one)
- Demonstrated school leadership (committee chair, vice principal, dept. chair, etc.)
- Evidence of positive relationships with students, faculty and staff, and parents through references and current leadership practices
- Evidence of strong written communication skills through quality of resume, and attachments
- Completed application package
- Involvement in a Christian church
- 5+ years teaching experience at the K-7 grade levels
- Experience teaching/leading in a Christian school
- Any specialty training in assessment, curriculum and pedagogy, restorative practices, and the integration of technology in learning
- Knowledge of ‘21st century learning’
- Knowledge of best practices related to grade K-7 curriculum, instruction, assessment, technology, and school community
- a philosophy of Christian education (1 page)
- a statement of faith (1 page)
In your cover letter please address, among other things, the following:
- Your motivation for application
- Your interest in working within an ethnically and denominationally diverse school community with an open enrolment policy
- Your interest in ensuring the authentic integration of faith and learning
- Your commitment to student learning
Please send applications directly to David Loewen, Superintendent at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you in advance for your application; we will only be contacting those we would like to interview.
Attached to our school’s constitution is a document that summarizes our faith and worldview. The document is titled Our World Belongs to God.