SPECIAL NEEDS EDUCATION ASSISTANT 1
Kyuquot Elementary Secondary School
Vancouver Island West School District 84 has a vacancy available for a Special Needs Education Assistant 1 at Kyuquot Elementary Secondary School. This is an ideal placement for an outdoor enthusiast who enjoys exploring the sea and forest surroundings, hiking, fishing, kayaking, and all that is associated with a rural West Coast life style. Kyuquot Village and School are accessible by boat or seaplane, with the nearest service centers being Port McNeill, Campbell River or Gold River. This Grade 1-12 school is valued by parents and students, and it is focused on the community and First Nations’ needs. Quality services and creative learning opportunities for students is the goal.
Under the instructional direction of the teacher and/or Special Education teacher, and the supervision and evaluation of the Principal, the Special Needs Education Assistant 1 provides assistance to teachers and other professionals in the delivery of regular or alternate programs of study with a group or individual students.
Effective immediately, this appointment is for five (5) hours per day, adjusted as necessary for the School Calendar, when students are in regular attendance. After successful completion of a probationary period, the incumbent will be eligible for full benefits in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
Please Note: Kyuquot School has a COVID-19 procedure document that is reviewed by all staff and shared publically, and the School Principal is fully committed to ensuring a safe worksite for employees.
- Please refer to www.sd84.bc.ca, ‘Employment Opportunities’, for complete job description.
- Grade 12 education or the equivalent.
- Post-secondary training in education, special education, or in a related, helping profession field equal or equivalent to a one-year certificate; AND,
- Two years recent related work experience.
- Ability to adapt classroom learning tasks to the ability level of student(s).
- Physical capability to perform the job duties.
- Working knowledge of computers.
- Knowledge of basic principles of child and/or adolescent psychology, and of learning theory.
- Conflict resolution training.
- Specialized training or experience specific to the needs of the identified student(s); i.e. sign language, augmentative communication systems, FASD, ADHD, Aboriginal Education, working with adolescents.
- Training and/or experience in one of the following:
1) With behaviorally disordered children.
2) Implementing a behavior management program.
3) Assisting disabled persons with mobility, dressing, eating, taking medication, caring for personal hygiene and safety needs.
The rate of pay for a Special Needs Education Assistant 1 is $25.82 per hour, as per the Collective Agreement.
Employment is subject to an approved Criminal Record Check.
Inquiries are welcomed by the School Principal at 250-332-5260 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your letter, resume and supporting documents to:
Annie McDowell, Associate Director of Human Resources
Vancouver Island West School District 84