The Catholic Independent Schools of the Vancouver Archdiocese (the CISVA) operates 47 schools – 40 elementary and seven high schools. Our footprint extends over 250 kilometres, from Powell River in the west to Chilliwack in the east.
We are a culturally diverse faith-based family. We offer more than a place of work – we provide a call to your teaching vocation where you can work and live your faith in a supportive community. Many of our current teachers and principals are products of our school system – former graduates from the CISVA who continue to grow their spiritual and professional journey with us.
We are a vibrant school system with many school and program expansion projects in the future. We offer spiritual and professional growth and mentorship opportunities for new teachers to help them with their transition into the CISVA.
St. Michael’s School is a Catholic Elementary School for students, from Kindergarten to Grade 7. Our school is a dynamic and welcoming community with a strong partnership between school, home and parish. As a Catholic community, it is our mission to celebrate the richness of our faith, nurture a love of learning and sustain a life giving community. We are located on the Burnaby New Westminster border on an expansive and beautiful property with transit close by. Come join our fun and engaged professional group of teachers who are dedicated to making a positive, lasting impact in each student’s life. Teaching at St. Michael’s is an opportunity to join a progressive community that is committed to collaborative, student-centred, faith-based education. This is a place where educators and students continually learn and grow. Please visit our school's website at www.stmichaelschool.ca for more information about the school.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION TEACHER/ATHLETIC DIRECTOR
St. Michael’s School is seeking a full time K to 7 Physical and Health Education Teacher. This position will be short term for new teachers with the opportunity for a continuing position, and a continuing contract for existing CISVA teachers. Please send resume and cover letter attention Caterina Kennedy at email@example.com
Qualifications and Personal Requirements
Elementary school physical education teachers need to be able to work with children from ages 5 to 12. This means that they need to develop skills within the games and activities that are relatively simple and easy for their students to understand. Physical education (PE) teachers organize games and challenges that promote physical activity among children from Kindergarten to Grade 7. Their goal is to develop motor skills and physical development among younger children and proper exercise and eating habits among older children. A description of PE teacher attributes at the elementary level include friendliness, approachability, high energy, and an ability to create innovative games and activities.
Successful candidate must:
• Hold a valid BC Teaching Certificate
• Meet all requirements to be able to work in the Catholic Independent Schools of the Vancouver Archdiocese
• Be knowledgeable of the BC K-7 Physical and Health Education Curriculum
• Be physically fit in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job
• Have excellent communication skills
• Have excellent understanding of warm-up exercises and stretching
• Have first aid training
• Be able to manage and organize team sports
• Not only be knowledgeable about an activity, but the successful candidate also needs to be able to communicate and demonstrate the activity properly
• Be able to observe all the students and maintain discipline and safety within the class
• Be able to interact positively with parents, other teachers, and school administrators and writing progress reports for students.
• Be compassionate and respectful for all students
• Be understanding of students' disabilities and adaptive PE techniques where applicable
To apply for this job please ensure that all the required documents are submitted and uploaded to your Make A Future Online Portfolio:
For the Catholic Pastoral Reference (for Catholic Applicants) and Non-Catholic Pastoral Reference you must download the appropriate form, provide to your Pastor for signing, and have them submit directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.