Assistant-Superintendent of Schools
School District 71 (Comox Valley) is located on the east coast of Vancouver Island approximately 100 kms north of Nanaimo and is on the traditional territory of the Komok’s First Nation. The Comox Valley includes the city of Courtenay, the town of Comox and the village of Cumberland, each providing their own unique services and community culture. It is known as a desirable place to live with golf, skiing, hiking, swimming and boating being only a few of the many outdoor activities available. In addition, the community has many vibrant arts and cultural programs.
We are a progressive school district whose mission is to work with all educational partners to develop responsible, compassionate citizens and successful lifelong learners. We provide a comprehensive educational program to 8500 students from K to Grade 12. The school district employs over 1500 employees and have 15 elementary schools, 2 junior secondary/middle schools, 3 secondary schools, 2 alternate schools, a distributed learning school and a $100 million annual operating budget.
The Board of Education invites applications for the position of Assistant Superintendent. We are seeking an exceptional educator to join the senior leadership team in supporting success for all students. Reporting to the Superintendent of Schools, the Assistant Superintendent works collaboratively with the Board, the Superintendent, all members of the management team, school and district staff, and community leaders in providing excellence in public education. Key responsibilities of the position are successful delivery of K-12 educational programs in conjunction with other senior leaders, instruction and assessment, school and district planning, and a wide range of district initiatives.
The successful candidate will be recognized as an exemplary educational leader with a strong commitment to lifelong learning. The Assistant Superintendent will provide leadership in the development of professional learning communities to support the implementation of varied learning pathways and to work closely with school administrators to collaboratively promote and support the vision of the District.
Qualifications and attributes for this senior leadership position are:
- A Master’s degree in Education, leadership or related field
- Demonstrated excellence as a school principal or leadership at the district or senior management level
- Strong advocacy of district initiatives that support and enhance student achievement
- Superior communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and recognized involvement in building effective school and community relations
- Successful background in strategic, results-focused planning
- Demonstrated success in project initiation and implementation
- Commitment to meaningful consultation and collaboration with educational partners
- Ability to manage, budget, and allocate resources that further the mission and goals of the School District
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels
- High level of proficiency in computer technology
- Knowledge and understanding of Human Resources management and labour relations
- Exemplary skills in analytical reasoning, problem solving, crisis management, organization and time management
- Visible commitment to excellence and professionalism
- Broad knowledge of current educational trends and instructional methods
- Ability to provide strategic insight and policy direction as a member of the senior leadership team
- Visionary approach in support of the School District’s goals and values
- Eligibility for membership in the Teacher Regulation Branch of the Ministry of Education in British Columbia.
Qualified individuals are invited to apply in confidence by submitting a cover letter outlining how they meet the hiring criteria, a chronological resume with the name, phone number /email address of three professional references through “www.makeafuture.ca/comox-valley”.
The competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Applications received prior to 1:00 pm (Pacific Time) on Tuesday June 18th, 2019 will be assured careful consideration.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Interviews are expected to be held on June 24th. The successful applicant will be subject to the terms of the Criminal Review Act.
Thank you for your interest in School District 71 (Comox Valley)
An Equal Opportunity Employer