The Langley School District invites applications for a temporary (35 hours/week until June 2021) Settlement Worker to assist immigrants, refugees and other eligible clients with immediate needs for settling in Canada or with ongoing integration into Canadian Society. The primary focus of settlement workers in schools is to facilitate integration and settlement of newcomer families through systematic outreach to newly arrived families, to provide them with the information about available services, needs assessment, cross-cultural education and referral. Experience working with youth is an asset.
Required qualifications and experience:
• Grade 12 graduation, plus two years post-secondary education in Social Sciences, Social Work or Counselling or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Two years experience working in a multicultural setting with different ethnic groups. Experience working with refugees is an asset.
• Oral and written fluency in English and one of the following languages preferred: Arabic, Spanish, Punjabi, Russian or Farsi .
• Working knowledge of immigration policies and settlement needs to facilitate transition and integration into school environment.
• Working knowledge of existing community agencies and resources.
• Ability to communicate effectively using tact, diplomacy and persuasion in frequent contacts of a difficult, specialized or sensitive nature.
• Ability to interpret, analyze, and use judgement in the application and modification of methods and procedures.
• Ability to work with both children and adults in a collaborative and facilitative manner.
• Working knowledge of computers.
• Valid BC Driver’s license preferable.
Rate of pay: $26.20 per hour plus a comprehensive benefits plan
Qualified individuals must submit a complete application through the Make a Future job board (makeafuture.ca/Langley). Please note that applicants must open an account and apply to the appropriate posting.
Please include the following documents in your application package:
• Resumé, including names and email addresses of at least 3 supervisory references
• Copy of Degree or proof of Grade 12 graduation
• Transcript of post-secondary courses completed
• Copy of valid BC driver’s licence
Please note that we accept electronic applications only. No drop-ins or phone calls please.
Successful applicant will be subject to a criminal records check.
We wish to thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you have questions or require assistance with this application process, please contact the Customer Care department at MakeAFuture at 1 866 806 6851 or firstname.lastname@example.org