The Catholic Independent Schools of the Diocese of Nelson (CISND), hosts six elementary schools, and one high school. The diocese is located in the beautiful Okanagan and Kootenay regions of British Columbia. We are committed to hiring qualified employees who are dedicated to education in the Roman Catholic tradition.
Our Lady of Lourdes School (G k-7) located in West Kelowna, BC
invites applications at this time for:
1 part-time (0.43 FTE) Special Education Coordinator
Closing date: Until position is filled. Start date: September 1, 2020
Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
Commitment to Catholic Education
Identification with and participation in the life of a Catholic parish
Have completed advanced study in Special Education, including courses in Children with Exceptionalities (intellectual disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorder, neuro-developmental disabilities, sensory impairments, chronic health impairments, physical disabilities, behaviour disorders and mental illness), Assessment of Learning Difficulties (Level “B” Assessment), Programming for students with special needs, and Creating positive learning environments in inclusive education.
Have current/recent training in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, education of students with Autism Spectrum Disorders and current practices in Special Education;
Have experience working with Special Education technology and/or is willing to attend training sessions to enhance skills in these areas;
Are trained or willing to be trained in the programs that focus on positive decision making, conflict resolution, anger management strategies, and collaborative problem-solving;
Have experience providing liaison with external agencies, school and home for children in need of social, emotional and behavioural support;
Have training/experience and be willing to use Quality Assessment practices (e.g.: differentiated instruction, criterion referenced grading, assessment for, of and as learning)
Have previous administration experience, particularly in Special Education
Have knowledge of community services that support students with Special Needs and their families within the province of B.C
In order to be considered for any position with CISND and to ensure timely processing of your application, all required documents must be submitted with your application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. DO NOT SUBMIT REFERENCE LETTERS.
The following must be included in your application:
- Cover letter to include reason you wish to teach in the Diocese of Nelson and your educational philosophy.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae to include list of special certificates, licenses, honours and awards. Memberships in professional or technical associations relevant special interests and activities in which you are prepared to assume a leadership role.
- Official University Transcripts (photocopy).
- BC Teachers' Certificate - Candidates must posses a valid BC teaching certificate or be eligible for BC certification through the Teacher Regulation Branch of the Ministry of Education.
- Most recent evaluation report from each employer/practicum supervisor.
- CISND Pastoral Reference form
- Catholic applicants must provide:
- Certificate of Catholic baptism, or RCIA Certificate.
- If married, a copy of a Certificate of a Catholic marriage certificate
As a condition of employment, successful candidates will be required to submit the following:
- Certified statement(s) of previous teaching experience
- Photocopy of Canadian Birth Certificate or Canadian Passport (documentation to indicate you are legally entitled to work in Canada).
- Social Insurance Number
- Photocopy of Driver's License
- TQS (if applicable)