Central Okanagan Public Schools (School District No. 23), Kelowna BC, provides education services to over 23,000 students in the communities of Peachland, West Kelowna, Kelowna, Lake Country and the Regional District of Central Okanagan. We invite applications for the position of:
MAINTENANCE MANAGER – OPERATIONS
Reporting to the Director of Operations, or designate, the Maintenance Manager is responsible for planning and managing the building maintenance, repairs and alterations for district owned schools and buildings across the District.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize, direct and supervise the tasks and work of the Operations Department, including trade coordinators, certified trades, operators, labour and other maintenance staff;
- Plans and manages the maintenance, repairs and alterations for district buildings and related equipment;
- Plans and manages district building systems, mechanical, electrical, structural, grounds;
- Plans and manages district projects, small and large, from different funding sources;
- Implements approved policies, procedures, and systems under the direction of the Director of Operations, or designate, including systems design standards, compliance with safety regulations and other government legislation;
- Establishes training requirements and on the job evaluation routines;
- Involved in the preparation of the department’s strategic and operational plans;
- Involved with the development of annual operating budgets and forecasts; monitors departmental budget; reports on variances, including reports to Board Committees;
- Liaises with district administrators on matters relating to labour relations, staff training, building maintenance, minor alterations, educational functional improvements, recoverable work requests, building security improvements;
- Participates in a consultative process with facility users, designers and management during the planning phase of projects.
Knowledge and Abilities Requirements:
- Thorough knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems;
- Thorough knowledge of grounds, structural, roofing, building envelope, interior finishes;
- Thorough knowledge and experience in construction and building maintenance;
- Experience scheduling, managing and supervising of a large unionized staff;
- Experience in the preparation of project tenders, estimates and management of budgets;
- Extensive knowledge of building codes and by-laws, safety regulations and other relevant local, provincial and federal government regulations;
- Ability to communicate effectively and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, school administrators and maintenance staff, consultants, city and provincial inspectors and others;
- Ability to ensure that repairs and projects are completed on budget and on schedule;
- Ability to read and understand drawings and specifications;
- Ability to utilize Windows computers including Microsoft Office, Outlook, Project.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Have formal post-secondary education in Engineering, Facility Management, Building Technology or in a relevant discipline;
- Have minimum of 5 years supervisory experience in a position of similar responsibility and experience in a comparable setting;
- Current BC or interprovincial certification in a relevant trade with relevant experience, will also be considered;
- Valid BC Driver’s License with good driving record.
This is an exempt position with a salary range of $85,809 to $96,535 plus benefits package, including participation in a defined benefit pension plan.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply online complete with cover letter, resume, proof of qualifications and 3 professional references by 4:00 p.m. PST on Monday, November 18, 2019 at www.makeafuture.ca