TEMPORARY YOUTH AND CHILD CARE WORKER
Kyuquot Elementary Secondary School
Vancouver Island West School District 84 has a vacancy available for a Temporary Youth and Child Care Worker at Kyuquot Elementary Secondary School. This is an ideal placement for an outdoor enthusiast who enjoys exploring the sea and forest surroundings, hiking, fishing, kayaking, and all that is associated with a rural West Coast life style. Kyuquot Village and School are accessible by boat or seaplane, with the nearest service centers being Port McNeill, Campbell River or Gold River. This Grade 1-12 school is valued by parents and students, and it is focused on the community and First Nations’ needs. Quality services and creative learning opportunities for students is the goal.
Under the direction, supervision and evaluation of the Principal or designate, the Youth and Child Care Worker provides assistance to elementary and secondary students who display deficits in social competence which impair interpersonal relationships and/or display deficits in academic performance which are not commensurate with the student’s ability level.
Effective immediately until the return of the incumbent or June 30, 2021, whichever comes first, this assignment has a flexible schedule averaging five (5) hours per day, when students are in regular attendance. If the incumbent requires a gradual return to work, this assignment will reduce in time until the full return of the incumbent.
Please Note: Kyuquot School has a COVID-19 safety procedure document that is reviewed by all staff and shared publically, and the School Principal is fully committed to ensuring a safe worksite for employees.
- Works in collaboration with school staff and other agencies to foster and develop the individual student’s potential:
- to increase student’s participation in the planning and setting of personal goals
- to reduce rate of absenteeism
- to increase students graduating with a Dogwood diploma or an Evergreen certificate;
- to increase number of students leaving school with a positive plan in place
- to reduce incidence of negative and/or disruptive behaviour in the school
- to reduce incidence of negative and/or disruptive behaviour in the community
- to increase utilization by students of formal and informal resources in the community
- to enhance communication between home and school
- Liaises with teachers and other school personnel, parents/guardians, social, legal and medical agencies, to develop and implement strategies that will assist the children in their school/community to meet the goals and objectives of the rehabilitation program.
- Encourage and assist students to hold a more positive, mature, responsible attitude towards themselves, school and community.
- Encourage and assist students to have learning and coping skills that will enable them to perform more successfully in school and the community.
- Operates standard office and classroom equipment; e.g. photocopier, computer.
- Participates in team meetings regarding student progress.
- Performs all duties with a level of interpersonal skills appropriate to the position.
- Maintains the confidentiality of sensitive information seen or heard.
- May be required to perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 education or the equivalent.
- Minimum two to three-year diploma in Child and Youth Care from an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Two years of related experience.
- Demonstrated appropriate interpersonal skills, and the ability to work effectively with students, staff and public.
- Valid BC drivers license in good standing.
- Working knowledge of computers.
- Physical capabilities to perform the job duties.
This rate of pay is $27.33 per hour plus 7% in lieu of benefits and 4% in lieu of vacation as per the Collective Agreement. Employment is subject to a criminal record check.
Inquiries are welcomed by the Principal at 250-332-5260 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your letter, resume and supporting documents to:
Annie McDowell, Associate Director of Human Resources
Vancouver Island West School District 84