HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER
It is acknowledged that Central Okanagan Public Schools operates within the traditional unceded territory of the Okanagan Syilx peoples. Central Okanagan Public Schools (School District No. 23) is a growing, progressive and dynamic school district providing education services to approximately 24,000 students with over 3,000 employees and 47 schools sites in the communities of Peachland, West Kelowna, Kelowna, Lake Country and Oyama. The Central Okanagan Public School District has an excellent reputation of providing outstanding, student-centered programs in a diverse and inclusive environment as well as offering a wide range of educational opportunities for its students and staff.
The Human Resources department has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic human resources professional to influence student success through the effective management of the people that serve them. Reporting to the District Principal of Human Resources this exempt position will be responsible for leave management, activities within the HR Information System, external and internal recruitment, labour relations and other Human Resource generalist functions.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Coordinating external recruiting by advertising, interviewing and selecting candidates.
- Managing internal posting and placement processes.
- Advising Managers and Principals on the administration and application of CUPE and Teachers' collective agreements.
- Managing labour relations matters, such as disciplinary investigations, contract interpretation, grievance handling, performance management, disability management, return-to-work and duty to accommodate processes.
- Managing processes and systems necessary to maintain employee records in the HR Information System.
- Overseeing requests for leaves by all employee groups submitted through the HRIS.
- Acting as the HRIS Lead and liaising with the Payroll Department.
- Organizing the District's retirement and recognition events.
- Supporting the development and monitoring of systems and procedures for all HR functions.
The successful applicant will have:
- Formal post-secondary education in Human Resources Management and CPHR designation is preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience as a HR generalist, preferably in a multi-site public sector unionized environment.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize a wide range of issues within a complex and demanding environment.
- Thorough knowledge of legislation affecting employers and employees with experience implementing best practices of human resource management.
- Experience in collective agreement interpretation, labour relations research, OHS, contract management and full-cycle recruitment and selection.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of staff, union representatives, outside agencies and community contacts.
- Experience using human resource information systems and proficient with MS Office products.
This is an exempt position with a competitive annual salary plus benefits package. The salary is currently under review. The successful applicant must be prepared to transition into this role on or before August 15, 2021.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Applications received prior to July 11, 2021 will be assured of full consideration. Interested qualified applicants are invited to submit an online application at www.makeafuture.ca with cover letter, resume outlining relevant background and work experience, and three professional references.
Applications can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org