CERTIFIED EDUCATION ASSISTANT
There is a position available for a Certified Education Assistant at Charlie Lake Elementary School. Applications must be completed online and will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Reporting to the site Administrative Officer(s), this position is responsible for working under the direction of the classroom teacher and various District personnel in providing care for students (training provided by appropriate medical personnel when required).
This position requires an individual to work as part of a collaborative team that provides assistance to teachers in the delivery and implementation of educational programs and services. The education programs facilitate the integration, growth, learning, safety and comfort of students with a variety of educational/emotional and behavioural needs. The successful candidate will work with special needs students, youth with learning disabilities, those on modified and alternate programs (primarily in classroom setting), as well as provide, on occasion, pull out support for individuals or small groups.
Hours of work: Five (5.0) hrs per day, five (5) days per week
Duties to Commence: As soon as possible after closing
Work Year Base: Ten (10) months per year
Commencing Salary: Based on certification
- Provides instructional support to students to implement educational programs as determined by the teacher/resource team/administrator and provide students with feedback for completion of daily work.
- Constructs/locates instructional materials, games, displays and learning centres.
- Operates computers, audiovisual and various other equipment as well as adaptive technology.
- Supervises the students completion of education activities, as outlined in the IEP, observe and record academic and behavioural assessment data to assist teachers in the monitoring of students.
- Copies, transcribes, types, files and maintains records.
- Implements behaviour management of programs as determined by the teacher/resource team.
- Provides person/health care and physical safety assistance to students.
- Attends team/parent professional development meetings as required.
- Assist in the implementation of programs requiring intensive behaviour interventions.
- Supervises students as required in the classroom, gym, school, playground, loading/unloading of bus(es), community field trips.
- Fosters student independence and appropriate peer interactions.
- Works collaboratively as a member of a team.
- May be required to attend specific workshops at the direction of the Administrative Officer(s).
- Performs other job related assigned comparable duties as directed which are within the knowledge and skills required by the job description.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Must be wiling to maintain current CPI status
- Level 1 First Aid Certificate may be required
- Education Assistant Certificate, which includes documented training in the follow areas:
- Pervasive developmental disorders, including ASD, FASD and complex behavioural needs
- Developmental and sensory needs and disorders
- Personal care: dressing, toileting, feeding, lifting, transferring, seizure management
- Technology assisted programs (ie. Augmentative communication devices, Boardmaker, Apps and other software)
- Behaviour support: conflict resolution, anger management, nonviolent behavioural interventions, behaviour/safety/crisis/emergency plans
- Learning challenges: learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, learning challenges
- Formal POPARD training or experience
- Proven ability to remain calm in difficult situations
- Proven ability to develop positive relationships with students
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible/adaptable when faced with new or challenging situations
- Physical ability to keep up with an active child
- Ability to work independently and set priorities
- WHMIS Certificate and other online safety training provided by the District to be completed within the probationary period
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to be an integral part of a team
- Must be able to pass a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Records Search conducted by the District prior to starting employment
PLEASE NOTE: Proof of graduation and/or highest level of education is required prior to starting a position
For more information please contact:
Nancy Maxfield, Principal Charlie Lake Elementary (250)785-2025 or email email@example.com
All applications must be made through Make A Future for consideration for the position.
If you require any assistance with the online application process please contact Colleen Stewart at 250-262-6008 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.