K/1 Classroom Teacher (1.0 FTE)
The K’ak’ot’lats’i School is looking for an individual with strong academic and interpersonal skills who is willing to contribute to our team and overall school success.
Location: K’ak’ot’lats’i School is located approximately 16 km (12 min drive) northwest of Port Hardy, BC on the Quatsino IR#18 near Coal Harbour, BC.
Please visit the listed websites in order to learn more about the wonderful attributes of the area:
Why K’ak’ot’lats’i School?
- Smaller class sizes compared to public system (10-15 students)
- In-class Educational Assistants (EA) support
- Excellent professional development opportunities (local & lower mainland)
- Access to second level services (SLP, OT, Behaviour Specialist etc.)
- On-site Culture & Language Teachers (assist in local FN content)
- Competitive wages & benefits (On par with SD#85)
- Access to classroom budgets (reimbursed with little out of pocket expenses)
- Professional Learning Communities (PLC’s events)
Please visit our partner organizations to get a better understanding of the wonderful Pro-D opportunities provided: www.fnsa.ca and www.fnesc.ca
- Relocation allowance available (up to $1,500.00)
- $1,500.00 recruitment allowance
- Salary as per SD#85 Collective Agreement. (See current SD#85 salary grid).
- Benefits as per QBC Group Plan with option to enrol in medical, dental, extended health and group life insurance
- Pension plan contributions matched by employer based on FTE
Qualifications: B.Ed with BC Teaching Certification or equivalent (must be eligible for BC certification). Experience working with First Nations considered an asset but not mandatory. Teachers have access to full-time culture & language staff available to assist with all cultural aspects of teaching in our school.
Additional Qualifications and Experience
- Experience and skills teaching in both primary and intermediate levels
- Strong literacy and numeracy background
- Willingness to participate in and implement school-wide initiatives and goals
- Experience with adapting and modifying curriculum to meet the specific needs of students
- Committed to individualized and group instruction utilizing a variety of effective strategies and techniques
- Experience teaching in a multi-age group setting
- Strong classroom management skills
- Willingness to work in a collaborative model with staff on the school improvement plan and professional development opportunities
- Strong background in computer related skills and ability to integrate technology into the learning environment
- Willingness to work within a team on common school-wide literacy initiatives
- Willing to travel for professional development opportunities
- Willing to be video coached
Additional Qualifications: Special consideration will be given to applicants with DIBELS, Readwell and/or Saxon Math experience. Experience working in a Professional Learning Community (PLC) considered an asset. Our staff operates as a team and strong interpersonal skills are desired.
Applications and Supporting Documents: This is an exciting opportunity to teach in a well-equipped, and caring environment. If you possess the qualifications please send your application with necessary documentation including details of experience, teaching credentials, and names of at least three (3) professional references to the undersigned.
Deadline for applications: Open Until Filled - Interviews will be scheduled as applications are submitted.
Email resumes and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
K'ak'ot'lats'i School Hiring Committee
600 Cayuse Road
Coal Harbour, BC
Canada V0N 1K0
***ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED***