Continuing – French Immersion LST
Position: Continuing – French Immersion LST
Location: Ross Road Elementary School
Start/End Dates: Start July 1, 2020
Salary: Salary and Benefits as per the Teachers’ Collective Agreement
NATURE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The successful applicant will work as part of a collaborative team to support students with complex learning and behavioural needs across grade levels in French Immersion. The role would include integrated case management, development of the Individual Education Plans for students with high and low incidence ministry identifications. The assignment entails working collaboratively with classroom teachers to develop and implement instructional and assessment strategies to meet the learning and behavioural needs of students. Providing guidance to and scheduling education assistants who are implementing goals outlined in the IEP is also a requirement of the assignment.
• A Bachelor of Education Degree (Elementary).
• Successful experience teaching at the Elementary level.
• Master's Degree or Diploma in Special Education
• Successful completion of a university Level B testing course and related intervention courses.
• Successful experience and demonstrated ability in using Ministry Special Education criteria to set up and implement adapted and modified programs.
• Successful experience and demonstrated ability in creating extensive, individualized education plans for students.
• Demonstrated skill in developing instructional and behavioural strategies to assist classroom teachers.
• Strong communication skills in dealing with parents, teachers, and School Based Resource Team members.
• Knowledge and experience in adapting and/or modifying instruction for students who have developmental disabilities such as autism and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders.
• Successful experience teaching French Immersion at the Elementary level.
• Native-like fluency in French and English.
• Successful completion of senior university course work in French Immersion methodology or completion of a French Immersion Training program.
• Experience in and knowledge of content and processes contained with the Elementary French Immersion Language curriculum.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS, ATTRIBUTES and EXPERIENCE
• Strong commitment to excellence in teaching and demonstrated teaching ability.
• Comprehensive understanding of curriculum coupled with demonstrated ability to interpret curriculum appropriately to accommodate individual differences.
• Demonstrated ability to design and implement a variety of assessment practices to measure and monitor student progress effectively.
• Demonstrated ability to organize for instruction to maximize student potential.
• Confidence and proficiency in using instructional organizers, concepts, and strategies that actively engage all students in learning.
• Knowledge and demonstrated ability to structure and organize instructional strategies to enhance academic learning time.
• Practical knowledge of district initiatives in reading so that reading skills and strategies can be taught explicitly across the curriculum to insure reading success.
• Strategies to identify learning difficulties early, understand obstacles to learning, and implement effective intervention to maximize academic success.
• Knowledge and understanding of the application of relevant computer technologies to teaching and learning.
• Excellent written and oral communication.
• Evidence of personal initiative and strong work ethic.
• Demonstrated successful and creative classroom experience.
• Demonstrated ability to demonstrate flexibility and responsiveness to the needs and demands of the profession.
• Willingness to be involved in professional development, with an ongoing commitment to learn and implement new methodologies and strategies.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with students, parents, and staff to enhance the school as a learning community.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Possession of a BC Teaching Certificate
• Membership in the BC Teacher Regulation Branch.
• A member of the North Vancouver Teachers’ Association and the BC Teachers’ Federation.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Earnings range from $46,898 - $90,575 per annum for full time work (pro-rated for part time), depending on the TQS category and experience level of the teacher.
Teachers are entitled to a comprehensive benefits package including:
medical, dental, and extended health plans;
group life insurance benefits;
Extended health benefits for dependents of deceased employees;
Accidental disability insurance;
Salary indemnity plan benefit;
Supplemental employment benefits on maternity leave;
Employee and family assistance programs.
NOTE: We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.