School District #49 (Central Coast)
Posting # T237-21/22
April 15, 2021
Sir Alexander Mackenzie School &
Nusatsum Elementary School
Continuing Teaching Position (1.0 FTE)
September 1, 2021
(Nuxalk Language & Cultural Instructor / Aboriginal Education Support)
School District #49 (Central Coast) is accepting applications from teachers with a demonstrated commitment to developing a positive student centered learning environment. Interested teachers who are certified or who are eligible to become certified by the BC Ministry of Education, Teacher Regulation Branch are invited to apply.
- Demonstrate competence in traditional and contemporary Nuxalk culture;
- Knowledge of First Nations instructional strategies;
- Sound knowledge of technologies and their educational application;
- Sound knowledge of intervention skills for behavior and cognitive difficulties;
- Be able to work and interact positively and proactively with other teaching and support staff, Nuxalk Elders and the Nuxalk community at large.
- Training in Nuxalk culture;
- Be willing to submit to a local criminal record check;
- Nuxalk language fluency is preferred;
- Be able to read and write the Nuxalk language;
- Must demonstrate a mature, caring, and dependable attitude;
- Be knowledgeable in Nuxalk history especially stories and legends;
- Be knowledgeable in Nuxalk protocols dealing with stories, legends, song and dance;
- Be able to work with and interact with other Nuxalk language teachers, Nuxalk Elders and the Nuxalk community at large.
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Experience in teaching First Nation students.
Applications containing details of education, relevant experience and references are being accepted until position is filled and should be submitted to:
Ms. Lela Walkus
Coordinator, Aboriginal Education
PO Bag 130
Hagensborg, BC V0T 1H0
Phone: (250) 982-2691 Fax: (250) 982-2319