Competition # 21-17
Community Outreach Counsellor
Dease Lake/Telegraph Creek/Lower Post Schools
School District 87 operates within the unceded traditional territories of the Tahltan, Kaska and Tlingit First Nations and we honour these relationships. We respect and value the relationships with all other First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples who reside in these territories. This land has always been a place of learning and we are thankful to live, work, and learn here. It is with respectful consideration that the programs and services provided to students and staff acknowledge their histories, cultural contributions, and contemporary concerns.
This is a full-time position. Duties will be split between Dease Lake, Tahltan and Denetia Schools, travel is a requirement of the position. Dease Lake School is a K-12 school, Telegraph Creek School is a K-9 school and Lower Post School is a K-7 school.
The successful candidate should be a Registered Clinician in the province of British Columbia; have excellent interpersonal skills in a cross-cultural setting and an ability to work closely with students, parents, and educational personnel, as well as strong counseling skills in an educational setting.
The Counsellor will work as a member of the student services team which includes learning assistant teachers, speech and language pathologists, student assistants and student services consultants.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Develop and promote positive behavioural change and personal growth in clients, while assisting families in understanding the importance of education and developing family support skills.
- Identify clients for service, assessment of needs, and provision of social and behavioural interventions.
- Skills and training in Trauma Informed Practice.
- Collaborate with and participate in school-based teams.
- Provide career counselling.
- Work collaboratively with community-based programs and agencies.
- Provide assessment and treatment of diagnosed problems through standardized proven counselling modalities.
- Provide referrals and consult with other community social agencies.
- Provide leadership in case conferencing.
- Travel on a regular basis (with own vehicle).
- Provide crisis intervention and follow up.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience in educational programs and/or social services programs.
- Training and qualification in:
- Masters in elementary/secondary counselling
- Bachelor or Masters in Psychology with major in counselling
- Bachelor or Masters of Social Work
- Bachelor or Masters in child and youth mental health
- Successful experience in First Nations Community
Subsidized staff housing is available. Expected start date is September 1, 2021.
For additional information, contact Ms. Tracey MacMillan, Superintendent of Schools, at 250-771-4440. This posting will remain open until filled. Applications with supporting documentation including references should be submitted to:
Ms. Tracey MacMillan, Superintendent of Schools
School District No. 87 (Stikine)
P.O. Box 190
Dease Lake, B.C. V0C 1L0
Phone: (250) 771-4440
Fax: (250) 771-4441
THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Posted: June 17, 2021