INTERPRETER / OUTREACH MENTOR (POPDHH)
The Burnaby School District is recruiting for a Sign Language Interpreter/ Outreach Mentor for our
Provincial Outreach Program Deaf and Hard of Hearing (POPDHH). POPDHH collaborates with school
districts in meeting the needs of all Deaf and Hard of Hearing learners throughout the Province.
POPDHH promotes goals of language development, literacy, numeracy, cognitive development,
self-advocacy, and self-confidence in order to become responsible, global citizens.
This position will primarily provide interpreting support to the Vice Principal of POPDHH and
mentorship and support to Education Assistants and Visual Language Interpreters in the use of
American Sign Language. Interpreting services are provided at meetings, educational team meetings,
committee meetings, community groups, conferences and events.
1. Completion of recognized American Sign Language/English Interpreter program.
2. Active membership with Westcoast Association of Visual Language Interpreters (WAVLI).
3. Four (4) years related interpreting experience and demonstrated competencies in the duties and
responsibilities of the position.
4. Demonstrated fluency in American Sign Language including the ability to adjust to the signing,
education, and communication levels required.
5. Knowledge of the variety of communication modalities used by individuals who are deaf or hard of
The Outreach Interpreter / Mentor will be required to work flexible hours which may include: before
and after school hours, over-night, weekends and travel outside of Lower Mainland.
- Full-time TERM position (September – June)
- 35 hours/week
- Rate of Pay: $31.25/Hour
Please send full application package including resume, cover letter, references and supporting
documents attention to:
Burnaby School District 41
5325 Kincaid Street
Burnaby, BC V5G 1W2