Competition # 20-24
Community Outreach Counsellor
Dease Lake/Telegraph Creek/Lower Post Schools
The Stikine is a progressive northern district in British Columbia, home to great outdoor pursuits. The District has a full-time position. Duties will be split between Dease Lake, Tahltan and Denetia Schools, travel is a requirement of the position. Dease Lake School is a K-12 school, Telegraph Creek School is a K-9 school and Lower Post School is a K-7 school.
Start date negotiable. The successful candidate should have excellent interpersonal skills in a cross cultural setting and an ability to work closely with students, parents and educational personnel, as well as strong counseling skills in an educational setting.
The Counsellor will work as a member of the student services team which includes learning assistant teachers, speech and language pathologists, student assistants and student services consultants.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Develop and promote positive behavioural change and personal growth in clients, while assisting families in understanding the importance of education and developing family support skills.
- Identify clients for service, assessment of needs, and provision of social and behavioural interventions.
- Collaborate with and participate in school-based teams.
- Provide career counselling.
- Work collaboratively with community based programs and agencies.
- Provide assessment and treatment of diagnosed problems through standardized proven counselling modalities;
- Provide referrals and consult with other community social agencies;
- Provide leadership in case conferencing;
- Travel on a regular basis (with own vehicle);
- Provide crisis intervention and follow up.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience in educational programs and/or social services programs.
- Training and qualification in:
- Masters in elementary/secondary counselling
- Bachelor or Masters in Psychology with major in counselling
- Bachelor or Masters of Social Work
- Bachelor or Masters in child and youth mental health
- Successful experience in First Nations Community
For additional information, contact Ms. Tracey MacMillan, Superintendent of Schools, at 250-771-4440. This posting will remain open until filled. Applications with supporting documentation including references should be submitted to:
Ms. Tracey MacMillan, Superintendent of Schools
School District No. 87 (Stikine)
P.O. Box 190
Dease Lake, B.C. V0C 1L0
Phone: (250) 771-4440
Fax: (250) 771-4441
Posted - September 1, 2020