MANAGER, BUSINESS ANALYSIS
Surrey Schools is a large, dynamic, and progressive employer. With over 11,000 employees, we serve in a diverse, multicultural urban centre, and offer a broad range of innovative programs and services to our students and staff. Surrey Schools is the largest school district in BC and is still growing! We embrace change and look forward to exciting opportunities that come with this growth.
Under the general direction of the Director of Finance, the Manager, Business Analysis (BA) is responsible for developing and managing a team of skilled Business Analysts for the Finance, Budget, and Payroll units. This position works in the Finance Department and acts as data expert across multiple departments (Finance, Budget, Payroll). The Manager’s strategic responsibility is to initiate and lead change and serves as a consulting resource on technology and process related matters.
The incumbent is a hands-on BA Manager expected to consult and collaborate with users, business owners and stakeholders within the District’s cross-functional departments to analyze and document complex requirements and make recommendations to improve and streamline processes. The Manager, BA will utilize data from systems internal and external to the department and District to provide high-level data analysis on business-critical tasks and projects and creates both ‘on demand’ and production reports ensuring District leaders have the information they need to effectively manage.
The Manger, BA will oversee business reviews of complex tasks and workflow analyses; ensuring documentation of the business processes and related functional specifications are completed for re-engineering business practices, including software implementation and integration that will optimize the use of the current information technology systems to improve organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
Position relies on experience and judgment of self and a team to plan and accomplish goals.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages a team of Business Analysts for Finance, Budget, and Payroll.
- Works across multiple departments, designs practices, processes, and procedures necessary to get things done; simplifies complex processes; gets more out of fewer resources; creates systems that manage themselves.
- Works closely with management and stakeholders to prioritize business and information needs.
- Provides strategic decision support, identifies opportunities for new processes, and make recommendations in selecting alternative solutions that will leverage future operating models to improve systems and provide costs savings and efficiency.
- Works at all levels from senior management to subject matter experts (SMEs), develops project timelines, action plans, risk/issue management, and monitors progress and project deliverables.
- Provides high-level data analysis using a variety of tools such as SQL, Excel, Power Query, and industry BI tools to ensure managers and stakeholders have access to the information for decision making and to ensure compliance with Ministry reporting.
- Collaborates with the IMS team on service delivery to align priorities and business system solutions and communicates plans and best practices with the business units.
- Identifies, manages, and reports on benchmarks and trends, predictive analytics, and opportunities for Finance, Budget, and Payroll with senior management.
- Designs and creates charts, graphs, tables, reports, and dashboards to support findings and develop recommendations.
Requirements & Skills:
- Ability to work at a strategic level to plan, set goals, determine priorities, and identify potential risks and opportunities.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and work effectively within a multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural team.
- Proven experience to plan, organize, and manage a team through large-scale transformation projects involving multiple demands and changing priorities in process, location, and technology change.
- Experience or exposure to concepts that are specific to one or more functional areas such as payroll, finance, and budgeting business management.
- Demonstrated experience or exposure to current business and future opportunity technology trends.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering quality presentations on workflows, business requirements, system design, test plans, risk management and project status.
- Demonstrated writing skills to develop thorough, coherent, and informative requirements and other project documents.
- Advanced experience and understanding of data science, data cleansing, data quality management and data consolidation, methodologies, and processes for managing large scale databases.
- Expertise in RDBMS (relational databases), Data warehousing & Analytics, experience in design, development, testing, implementation, and support of enterprise data warehouse.
- Experience in analyzing data and creating process flow, data flow and entity-relationship diagrams using Unified Modelling Language (UML) tools such as Visio.
- Uses advanced skills with data analysis, reporting and presentation tools such as Excel (pivot tables, graphing, macros, formulas, linking multiple data sets, etc.), while applying appropriate tools for data analytics, statistics, and data insights reporting.
- Superior knowledge of query tools, Power Query & BI, SQL, project/resource management tools such as JIRA, Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, Office 365 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, and Outlook) VBA macros and statistical functions and scripting tools.
- Proven track record of identifying potential business improvement and transformative opportunities, and strategic thinking.
- Skilled in active listening, visualizing, and brainstorming to create optimal solutions to complex business problems, ability to organize, interpret, and apply data/information from a variety of sources.
- Commitment to self-learning and continuous skill and professional knowledge development.
Qualifications (Education & Experience):
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science or relevant field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, or Science).
- 7 – 10 yrs. experience Business Analyst and Data Warehouse Analyst.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities):
- Superior verbal communication, written communication, and business analysis skills.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to consistently produce accurate, high quality reports and analysis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work with minimal supervision, be highly self-motivated, self-Starter.
- Experience leading and supervising staff while managing hands on projects in a large organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Experience building relationships and the proven ability to influence all levels of the organization
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving, planning and project management skills.
This is an exempt position. The salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s training and experience and will include a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested and qualified applicants should click “apply online” below ensuring to include resume with supporting documents, references, and cover letter, by 4pm Monday May 31st, 2021.
Note: Faxed resumes will not be accepted. The successful applicant will be required to consent to a Criminal Record Search prior to employment. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. To all others, thank you for your interest.