Learning Services Teacher - Secondary
FTE: 1.0 Continuing
Location: Handsworth Secondary School
Start/End Dates: Start December 2, 2019 with possibility of earlier start
Salary: Salary and Benefits as per the Teachers’ Collective
NATURE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Secondary is seeking a Learning Services Teacher to join the inclusive
education department. The successful applicant will have recent
demonstrated successful experience working with students with diverse
and complex needs in both a class and one-on-one setting. The Handsworth
community strives for an innovative teaching environment, and seeks to
provide a positive and challenging learning environment for all
- A Bachelor of Education Degree in Secondary Education.
- Successful experience teaching at the Secondary Level.
- Masters Degree or Diploma in Special Education, including coursework specific to working with Low Incidence students.
- Training and demonstrated ability to conduct Level B assessment and Functional Assessments of Behaviour.
ability and experience in using Ministry Special Education criteria and
to set up and implement adapted or modified programs.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in creating extensive Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) for students.
- Skill in developing instructional and behavioural strategies to assist classroom teachers.
- Strong communication skills as evidenced with parents, teacher and other School Based Resource Team members.
and experience teaching students who have complex Autism and other
developmental disabilities, who require instruction using Applied
Behavioural Analysis, Verbal Behaviour and Social Thinking approaches.
ability to plan and coordinate community based instruction and liaise
with appropriate medical and community partners.
- Training and experience with augmentive technology, NVCI, and personal care would be an asset.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS, ATTRIBUTES and EXPERIENCE
- Strong commitment to excellence in teaching and demonstrated teaching ability.
ability to design and implement a variety of assessment practices to
measure and monitor student progress effectively.
- Strategies to identify learning difficulties and implement effective intervention to maximize academic success.
- Demonstrated successful experience supporting the success of all learners in an inclusive environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent oral communications, written communication, and group facilitation skills.
work ethic and social emotional competencies, excellent reflective
judgment, and commitment to building effective learning communities.
- Comprehensive understanding of curriculum.
and proficiency in using instructional organizers, concepts, and
strategies that actively engage all students in learning.
to positively influence instruction, curriculum, assessment, and
social-emotional learning practices in a collaborative environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the application of relevant computer technologies to teaching and learning.
to be involved in professional development, with an ongoing commitment
to learn and implement new methodologies and strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with students, parents, and staff to enhance the school as a learning community.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Must possess valid certification or eligibility for certification through the BC Teacher Regulation Branch (TRB)
- Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship
SALARY & BENEFITS:
range from $46,898 - $90,575 per annum for full time work (pro-rated
for part time), depending on the TQS category and experience level of
Teachers are entitled to a comprehensive benefits package including:
- medical, dental, and extended health plans;
- group life insurance benefits;
- Teachers’ pension;
- Extended health benefits for dependents of deceased employees;
- Accidental disability insurance;
- Salary indemnity plan benefit;
- Supplemental employment benefits on maternity leave;
NOTE: We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.