EDUCATION ASSISTANT -
TOTAL COMMUNICATION FACILITATOR (SIGNING)
The Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows School District (SD42) provides quality education to over 16,500 students. Effective September 7, 2021, we have two itinerant Education Assistant - Total Communication Facilitator (Signing) positions available working with students from grades K-12 who are encountering auditory and visibility barriers that impact communication access and development of language, cognition, academics and socio-emotional well-being. The students’ support needs range from pre-literacy/pre-numeracy through upper level academics, and hinge on facilitated communication adapted to their individual needs. Fluent linguistic skills in the mode of communication used by the student are essential.
The Applicant Will Possess:
- Successful completion of Grade 12 plus the Special Education Teaching Assistant program or equivalent plus successful experience working with individuals with special needs.
- Acuity of vision and hearing and fine motor dexterity for managing ATE.
- Grades K-12 curricular competence to support academic learning.
- Resourcefulness for collecting and making communication support materials that range from digital to handcrafted.
- Strong verbal and written English skills for notetaking and rewriting text.
- The ability to sustain constant processing of the auditory environment and intensive delivery of the verbal information adjusted to students’ needs and effectively support student through technology (e.g. ATE, assistive technology).
In accordance with the premiums for visual language interpretation, sign language, braille and deafblind intervention letter of understanding, additional training/skills, potentially resulting in premium pay, are required as follows:
- SD42 speechreadability screening test PASS and ASL Sign Language Proficiency rating of ASLPI V / 2+.
There are two full time positions available, 28 hpw, while school is in session.
The Rate of Pay is $30.35 per hour, hourly premium may apply and/or additional
hours may apply.
Interested and qualified applicants should apply by clicking "apply online" below. Posting will remain open until filled.
In your application, please include your:
- Cover Letter, quoting posting #C2122-034,
- Any Supporting Documentation (preferably in PDF format).
For more information about our School District please visit:
Our staff members are the foundation of our system. When you join our school district, you become part of a talented community of educators and support staff dedicated to enriching the lives of all students and helping them achieve success.