Mission Public Schools - Career Opportunity
Human Resources Coordinator, Education Staff
We acknowledge that our community is on the unceded, ancestral territory of the Stó:lo people and we benefit from local knowledge keepers and thriving Indigenous communities.
Mission Public Schools is dedicated to providing our students with an educational environment that nurtures the development of an Educated Citizen. Located in the beautiful Fraser Valley, Mission is a vibrant and diverse community with over 6200 students and 850 employees. We are committed to providing a safe, equitable, and inclusive educational system for all students in our thirteen urban and rural elementary schools, two middle schools, one secondary school, distributed learning centre, alternative learning centre, and vocational and technical college.
STAFFING / RECRUITMENT:
- Coordinates the internal recruitment, hiring, placement, and position changes for education staff positions, including:
- Organize, prepare, post, award, and document postings;
- Communicate with employees, management, and union representatives on recruitment process;
- Assist with external recruitment process for education staff;
- Participate in new employee orientation.
- Create and maintain personnel files for education staff.
- Maintain HRIS database for education employees (including certificate holders and evaluations on certificate holders) and develop and extract reports as needed.
- Prepare and process all Letter of Permission applications.
- Maintains teacher seniority lists.
- Ensure education position job postings are current and accurate.
- Prepare Monthly HR/Payroll reconciliations for FTE reporting as needed and provide necessary information for yearly support staffing at the district level.
- Liaise with Payroll and Finance to ensure information is accurate in the payroll systems.
- Liaise with the Human Resources, Payroll and Health, Safety, & Wellness Managers, and union representatives on employee absences and return to work rehabilitation/accommodation.
- Interpret and apply Collective Agreement language and School District policies and procedures.
- Provide guidance, training, and direction to management on educational staff labour relations issues.
- Research and prepare grievance and arbitration documents.
- Attend grievance meetings and prepare a complete and accurate record of the information presented.
- Coordinate the agenda, minutes, and database of Labour/Management Committee meetings.
- Assist with employee investigations when required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Superior knowledge of HR practices and procedures.
- Exemplary management, administrative and organizational skills.
- Superior communication, problem solving, presentation, training, and conflict resolution skills.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate within the organization and with external agencies.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and deal with uncertainty.
- Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively and collaboratively, with minimal supervision and instruction.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately, with integrity and discretion.
- Exceptional skills using HRIS database to support HR function.
- Proficient with standard office applications and ability to adapt to other specialized software applications as required (e.g. Microsoft Office).
Education, Experience and Certification:
- Diploma in Human Resource Management or equivalent.
- A minimum of five years of related human resources experience in a unionized environment, preferably in the public sector.
- CPHR designation preferred.
- Supervision experience.
- Current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and safe driving record.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered
Note: A clear Criminal Record is required for this position, with a review every five (5) years.
Interested HR practitioners are invited to submit an application package which should include the following:
- Cover Letter
- Resume (Include recent professional development activities)
- Copies of:
- Latest performance evaluation report
- Professional affiliation (CPHR, if applicable)
- Three professional references who can comment on the applicant's HR practice
Complete application packages should be submitted via email in a single pdf file to: email@example.com
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found, however, applications received by 4:00pm July 15, 2019 will be assured full consideration. The interest of all applicants is appreciated; however, only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.