About School District 69 (Qualicum)
School District 69 (Qualicum) is centrally situated on east Vancouver Island and covers the area of Nanoose Bay to Bowser and spans from Errington across the Strait of Georgia to Lasqueti Island. We serve a student population of approximately 4000 students. School District 69 (Qualicum) consists of eight elementary schools (Grades K-7), two secondary schools (Grade 8-12), an alternate school (PASS/Woodwinds) and a Distributed Learning program to support home-learning families called the Collaborative Education Alternative Program (CEAP). False Bay School on Lasqueti Island is entirely off-grid with an immense solar project recently completed. School District 69 (Qualicum) also embraces many community organizations through various school programs. The area’s natural beauty, never-ending beaches, mild climate and small-town charm make it a popular tourist destination and a great opportunity to have a career in paradise.
Education Assistant Spare
(POPARD / ASL)
The initial assignment will
include support for students with autism, students with special needs,
students with LD, IB/Mental illness, intellectual disabilities, and other
special educations students. An additional required qualification for
this position is ASL (American Sign Language) Level 1.
An employee in this classification performs routine tasks and/or specific personal and/or instructional support for student(s).
Directly reports to the Administrative Officer. Indirectly reports to District Principal of Learning Services.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
1. Assists professional staff in implementing programs with student(s).
2. Assists professional staff in supervising student(s) in the classroom, on the school grounds and on school day field trips.
3. May assist professional staff in supervising student(s) on overnight school field trips.
4. Assists with noon hour supervision.
5. Prepares materials for student(s) with whom the assistant works.
6. Provides instructional and/or functional curriculum support for student(s), as directed by classroom teachers and learning services’ professional staff.
7. Provides support for student(s) using visual tools and /or augmentative communication devices.
8. Provides personal care (e.g. toileting, feeding, specific medical procedures) for student(s) under the supervision of professional staff.
9. Assists in providing for the physical health and safety, where directed, of student(s).
10. Participates as a member of the student(s) instructional support team as required.
11. Contributes feedback or information towards the development of Individualized Education Plan(s) and /or Learning Plan(s), as requested by professional staff.
12. Participates in professional development activities and training.
13. Provides additional services as required such as medical care and non-violent crisis prevention management for individual student(s) under the supervision of professional staff (includes professional health care personnel).
14. Advises student(s), where and when appropriate, of school rules and assists in the diffusion of potentially dangerous student behaviour.
15. Assists individual student(s) when help is solicited.
16. Performs other job related duties.
REQUIRED ABILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
1. An Education Assistant and Community Support Program certificate or diploma from a recognized institution, including Introduction to Autism Course (30 hours) from the Provincial Outreach Program for Autism and Related Disorders (POPARD), or equivalent.
2. Ability to follow directions and work as a member of the educational team.
3. Ability to work effectively with student(s).
4. A minimum of (6) six months successful experience working in a related field.
5. Training and/or experience in using technology to support student(s) learning.
6. Valid Emergency First Aid Certificate.
7. Specialized curricular knowledge may be required, e.g. high-school level math and /or science, working knowledge of shops, and/or fluency in a second language.
Please submit a complete application package clearly quoting job number to:
Make a Future / School District 69 (Qualicum)
Please note to submit your application to the actual job posting you must click onto the job posting, then click the “APPLY” button.
School District 69 (Qualicum)
Director of Human Resources - School District 69 (Qualicum)
For further information please contact Denise Kinney, Human Resources Assistant at 250 954 3069 or email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.