Work in BC’s most culturally diverse and urban school district, Vancouver School District No. 39. Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
The Vancouver Board of Education (VSB) welcomes applications for the position of:
Indigenous Enhancement Worker
Permanent On-Call (SSB) with Benefits
**These positions are restricted to candidates of Aboriginal ancestry**
The VBE has been given approval from the Human Rights Tribunal for a Special Program under s. 42(3) of the Human Rights Code. Under this special program, the VBE seeks to preferentially hire Indigenous persons to a variety of positions. Therefore, each applicant may wish to provide, on a voluntary basis, information whether they identify as an Indigenous person.
- Hourly rate: $32.61 (7 hour work day)
- Union Position: CUPE Local 15 (VMECW) Union
- Working during the school year. September to June. No work over the summer holidays.
Benefits upon successful completion of 16 week probationary period:
- MSP, Dental, Extended Health
- Deferred Savings, Pension
- Life Insurance, Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Sick time, gratuity, vacation (pro-rated)
In this role, working with Aboriginal students you will:
- Implement, under the direction of the classroom teacher, instructional programs for the general student body in Aboriginal Education history and culture
- Assist Aboriginal students to understand and derive maximum benefit from the school system
- Assist and cooperate with school counselors working with Aboriginal students and their families
- Act as a role model for Aboriginal students
- Promote and develop involvement of Aboriginal parents in the school system and assist schools to develop opportunities for involvement of parents and families
- Provide counselling and activity planning and life skills development
- Be required on occasion to work after the school day
- Minimum two years post secondary training emphasizing skills in Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, or Cultural Studies
- 2 years experience in youth work
- Knowledge of Aboriginal Culture and urban conditions
- Must have a valid B.C. driver's license, own transportation, and be willing to travel to various schools throughout the district
Your application must include:
- Cover Letter
- 3 direct supervisors as references (names, emails, phone numbers). Include your most recent employer.
The District welcomes qualified applicants who value equity and
diversity as essential to excellence. The distinct makeup of the VSB community
strives to support the inclusion of all voices. You may wish to share
some lived experiences that demonstrate your connections to our diverse student
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Register on Make a Future: http://www.makeafuture.ca/
2. Create a profile under the Category "ECE, EA/TA/ERW"
3. Click on Job Postings the click Search
4. Select the Job you would like to apply for
5. Answer the job posting questions then click Apply
6. Upload supporting documents to the Competition
7. Once you submit your application you will receive a confirmation email from Make a Future
We do not notify unsuccessful applicants or respond to inquiries regarding the status of an application.
We will contact applicants directly if we are interested in moving forward or if an application requires additional information.