The Langley School District has an exciting opportunity for a permanent full time (35 hours/week) Senior Buyer. This position reports to the Assistant Manager – Purchasing and Supply Solutions and is responsible for performing delegated purchasing functions of the Department.
Duties and responsibilities include:
• Purchases supplies, capital equipment and services for all District locations.
• Coordinates and assists with the competitive bidding process for products/services in accordance with established tender procedures, specifications and bid terms and conditions, prepares bid evaluation summaries.
• Liaises with District Administrators and Managers for planning or acquisition of materials and methods of procurement.
• Meets and maintains positive vendor relations with Sales Managers, representatives of vendors who provide goods or services to the District and with all levels of government agencies.
• Ensures the critical timing and delivery of supplies and equipment for schools and facilities to help maintain their service levels and provide products, equipment and services.
• Assists with the yearly planning and scheduling for system and inventory contracts, and to meet with customers and vendors to plan product(s) and delivery.
• Performs purchasing duties and adheres to the District’s purchasing policies and procedures:
• Provides input to improve Purchasing Department processes.
• Visits schools/facilities on a scheduled or ‘as requested’ basis to accommodate effective communication between customers and purchasing as to needs, expertise and develop an ongoing liaison with schools, facilities and suppliers to develop product descriptions which provide greatest value to the district.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Grade 12 graduation supplemented by post-secondary courses in purchasing fundamentals and supply chain management.
• Five years related experience purchasing various types of industrial goods, capital equipment and services using a competitive bid process, contract development and administration, resolution of contract issues and vendor negotiations.
• Ability to communicate effectively using tact, discretion and diplomacy in contacts of a difficult or specialized nature.
• Good working knowledge of purchasing terms, laws of competitive bidding, best purchasing practices, contract law and some knowledge of risk management.
• Ability to interpret, analyze and use judgement in applying established methods and procedures.
• Working knowledge of electronic purchasing systems and software and use of internet as a research tool and competency using Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Valid BC Driver’s Licence and access to reliable transportation required for travel to District sites.
• Physical ability to perform the required duties.
Rate of pay: $29.60 per hour plus a comprehensive benefits plan and pension plan
Please upload the following documents when applying:
- Cover letter
- High school diploma or transcript to confirm Grade 12 completion (or degree)
- Transcript of post-secondary purchasing courses completed
Applications are accepted only through the Make a Future job board - makeafuture.ca/langley
Note that you must open an account and apply to the Senior Buyer posting.
The District appreciates the interest of all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The successful applicant will be subject to a criminal records check.
If you have questions or require assistance with this application process, please contact the Customer Care department at MakeAFuture at 1 866 806 6851 or firstname.lastname@example.org