About School District 69 (Qualicum)
School District 69 (Qualicum) is centrally situated on east Vancouver Island and covers the area of Nanoose Bay to Bowser and spans from Errington across the Strait of Georgia to Lasqueti Island. We serve a student population of approximately 4000 students. School District 69 (Qualicum) consists of eight elementary schools (Grades K-7), two secondary schools (Grade 8-12), an alternate school (PASS/Woodwinds) and a Distributed Learning program to support home-learning families called the Collaborative Education Alternative Program (CEAP). False Bay School on Lasqueti Island is entirely off-grid with an immense solar project recently completed. School District 69 (Qualicum) also embraces many community organizations through various school programs. The area’s natural beauty, never-ending beaches, mild climate and small-town charm make it a popular tourist destination and a great opportunity to have a career in paradise.
Assignment: Integrated Support Teacher (At this time, initial assignment to Ecole Oceanside Elementary School)
The assignment may change due to the itinerant nature of the position, or to meet the needs of the school’s educational program, grade organization, and/or enrollment.
1.00 FTE CONTINUING
Commencing September 1, 2021.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- In collaboration with classroom teachers, assist with the design and implementation of an appropriate educational program complete with modifications and adaptations as required to meet the individual needs of student, with a focus on students requiring support in low-incidence special education categories;
- Provide classroom-based support for teachers and their student who require these services;
- Work to support the needs of students in classroom and/or small group settings;
- Participate as a member of the School-based Team (may serve as chair), coordinate district referrals, and attend the district Screening Committee meetings as required;
- Develop, implement, and oversee Individual Education Plans (IEPs) for students who require additional supports;
- Work collaboratively with parents, outside professionals and community agencies;
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, staff and outside professionals;
- Attend Learning Services staff meetings;
- Support the work of the school toward achievement of growth plan goals;
- Create an engaging, respectful and inclusive learning environment for students;
- Integrate use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to support teaching and learning, manage information, and carry out professional communication.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A valid BC Teaching Certificate and familiarity with the BC curriculum at the elementary level;
- A Master’s Degree or Diploma in Special Education;
- Training and experience administering and interpreting Level B testing materials;
- Training and/or experience teaching beginning reading;
- Training and/or experience in the use of adaptive software, assistive technology and augmentative communication tools.
Please submit a complete application package clearly quoting job number to:
Make a Future / School District 69 (Qualicum)
Please note to submit your application to the actual job posting you must click onto the job posting, then click the “APPLY” button.
For further information please contact Denise Kinney, Human Resources Assistant at 250 954 3069 or email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.