School District #35 (Langley) invites applications for full time (35 hours/week) permanent and temporary Aboriginal Support Workers. This position reports to the District Principal of the Aboriginal Program and works in various schools, acting as a support for Aboriginal students, teachers, administrators and parents in all aspects of education.
• Grade 12 graduation and completion of a two-year post-secondary program in Aboriginal studies or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Two to three years related experience working with Aboriginal peoples, including involvement with Aboriginal culture and traditions.
• Thorough understanding of Canadian history and education of Aboriginal peoples.
• Working knowledge of computers.
• Ability to be flexible to meet the varying academic, social, emotional, behavioural and cultural needs of students.
• Ability to determine, judge and select appropriate course of action within established methods and procedures.
• Ability to communicate effectively using tact, discretion and diplomacy in contacts of a difficult or specialized nature.
• Physical ability to perform the required duties.
• Consistent with the British Columbia Human Rights code, Aboriginal Ancestry is a bona-fide requirement for this position.
The rate of pay for this position is $28.14 per hour
Interested applicants should forward a complete application package including the following documents:
Cover letter and resumé including names and email addresses of 3 supervisory references
Copy of high school diploma (e.g., Dogwood) OR transcript confirming completion of Grade 12 OR degree
Transcript indicating post-secondary course work completed
We wish to thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful applicants will be subject to a criminal record check.
If you have questions or require assistance with this application process, please contact the Customer Care department at MakeAFuture at 1 866 806 6851 or firstname.lastname@example.org