LIBRARY TECHNICIANS - CASUAL
COMPETITION NO: S 21 CLK 019 CAS
We require experienced Library Technicians (Support Staff) with a minimum of two years’ experience to join our School District. The current salary is $23.31 per hour with an additional 8% of straight time pay in lieu of statutory and non-statutory benefits.
Successful applicants will have a minimum Grade 12 supplemented by courses in library procedures and the operation of personal computers. A certificate or diploma from a recognized technical college (or equivalent) as a Library Assistant or Library Technician is required.
Under the general direction of the Administrative Officer or Designate, the Library Technician performs library support involving assistance in the provision of circulation, reference, catalogue, resource and other services in a school library.
The work involves the performance of a variety of tasks under the supervision of the Administrative Officer or Designate. New assignments are accompanied by some instruction and the incumbent will be asked to perform these tasks with relative independence. Work is expected to be accurate and complete. This position requires strong customer service and a very high level of patience.
- Overseeing the circulation of library material including all forms of print, digital, tactile, technical, archival, fragile, and equipment
- Processing and circulating all forms of requests, such as holds, interlibrary loans, displays and conglomerated resources
- Assisting students, teachers and administrators by answering reference questions and helping them access print and online resources or conduct a search of bibliographic sources
- Cataloguing and processing new library materials; maintain library database and circulation records, in accordance with district standards and procedures
- Creating and organizing patron records at the beginning of each semester and throughout the school year
- Collecting, dispersing and recording fees and/or funding which is payable to the library
- Providing orientation/training support for new and/or established library programs, and how to use the library collection and online catalogue
- Assisting with the development and continuity of new and/or established library programs and events
- Overseeing the maintenance, repair and shelving of library material including all forms of print, digital, tactile, technical, archival, fragile, and equipment
- Ordering, shipping and receiving library supplies as per needed in accordance to school library budget
- Conducting daily maintenance of library facilities and electrical/charging equipment including performing basic equipment maintenance and resolving routine hardware and software problems
- Conducting an on-going weeding and inventory and then an annual inventory of complete library
- Participating in department and staff meetings
- Creating and organizing library schedules, calendars, and web-based updates
- Moving and rearranging furniture and/or shelving upon occasion to accommodate the patrons in the library
- Researching and communicating the price and availability of materials, assisting in the preparation of orders and receive and unpack all new materials, ensuring that all documentation is complete and in order, in accordance with district policies and procedures
- Running and/or typing a variety of material including internal and external correspondence and reports, ensuring that they are completed in an accurate and timely manner: this also includes dealing with emails and phone calls pertaining to the library collection
- Maintaining a variety of standard office records related to the library and other office matters in accordance with district policies and procedures
- Providing accurate timely library reports (overdues, fines, circulation, etc.) and other related documents as requested
- Providing an open and inviting space during school hours for all members of the school district
- Providing supervision to students or non-staff members, when required or requested
- Maintaining a relationship and communicating with school PAC members
- Performing all other such duties as may be assigned by the Administrative Officer or Designate
- Maintaining confidentiality in all matters pertaining to the school districts
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- The incumbent to this position will have a minimum Grade 12 supplemented by courses in library procedures and the operation of personal computers.A certificate or diploma from a recognized technical college (or equivalent) as a Library Assistant or Library Technician is required.In addition, two years office/library experience is required.Recent experience working with adult learners and students either in the workplace or volunteer position.The incumbent must have the following:
- Ability to use library software, such as Destiny, Titlewave, Follett or other similar library software
- Ability to use Google classroom, Google drive and Google docs as well as AbbyConnect interfaces
- Demonstrated ability to access and use digital databases and online services, including uploading databases to digital repositories or shared folders
- Demonstrated ability to use computers and software including the Microsoft Office Suite (eg Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.) and Windows 10
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with all internal and external contacts; a patient, respectful and pleasant manner when dealing with others
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with teaching staff and assist in co-planning with teachers
- Proven ability to problem solve and analysis
- Proven ability to provide excellent customer service, including active listening skills and the ability to express ideas and explain information and instructions clearly to others, both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cooperative team situation, offering assistance to co-workers as required
Interested applicants should submit a detailed resume, outlining qualifications and experience and quoting the above competition number by 4:30 pm on Monday, November 30, 2020.
You will be required to sign an Authorization for Criminal Record Search in order to permit a criminal record review. We appreciate your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.