Counsellor- Position of Special Responsibility-
Area Counsellor (Elementary)
WHO WE ARE
From coastal beaches to mountain forests, North Vancouver School District – “the natural place to learn” – provides world-class instruction and a rich diversity of engaging programs to inspire success for every student. Our 25 elementary and 7 secondary schools, 2600 staff and 16,000 students offer a safe and nurturing environment based on trust, respect, responsibility and collaboration. Noted for its progressive approach to instruction, firm belief in Inclusive Education, advocacy for indigenizing learning, and emphasis on social-emotional learning, the North Vancouver School District is a great place to learn, share and grow!
This posting is for a Counsellor to work with students from Kindergarten through Grade 7, with a variety of complexity and counselling needs. The ability to work well with others is valued; the successful candidate will work well within the team of Elementary Counsellors and with the SEL Team. This assignment will include Universal support with Zones of Regulation, EASE Program, Second Step, Trauma Sensitive practice and Social Thinking Curriculum in addition to Targeted and Intensive supports. Location of assignment is to be determined.
WHAT WE REQUIRE
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching.
- Excellent verbal, written, facilitation and organizational skills.
- Displays social-emotional competencies of self-awareness, empathy, flexibility, relationship-building and responsible decision-making.
- Within a collaborative environment, develop a comprehensive understanding of curriculum with the ability to influence instruction, assessment, indigenous education and social-emotional learning practices.
- Ability to implement effective strategies to engage and support academic success for all learners in an inclusive environment
- Experience in designing and applying various assessment techniques to measure and monitor student progress.
- Committed to professional development with a desire to learn and implement new methodologies and strategies to provide a creative, engaged, and inclusive classroom experience.
- Demonstrated ability to apply relevant computer technologies to teaching and learning.
- Collaborates with students, parents and staff to enhance the school as a learning community.
- Must possess valid certification or eligibility for certification through the BC Teacher Regulation Branch (TRB)
- Masters Degree in Counselling Psychology, including a supervised counselling practicum
- Coursework or training in Social Emotional Assessment in Schools
- Training and demonstrated ability to provide individual and group counselling to students and to parents
- Demonstrated ability and successful experience in communicating effectively with teachers, parents, school administrators, and community agencies
- Training and demonstrated ability to perform Functional Assessments of Behaviour, and thorough knowledge of classroom management strategies
- Demonstrated skill and successful experience in developing instructional and behavioural strategies to assist classroom teachers
- Demonstrated ability and successful experience in creating Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) for students with social, emotional, behavioural, and/or mental health issues
- Demonstrated skill and successful experience in helping students with social, emotional, and learning difficulties function effectively in an integrated school setting
- Thorough knowledge of the BC Graduation Program, Ministry of Education Special Education Model, District Programs, the District’s Inclusive Education 44 Service Delivery Model, and community services
SALARY & BENEFITS
As per the Teachers’ Collective Agreement.
How to apply to this posting:
- Create your profile on Make A Future,
- To apply click "APPLY ONLINE" at the bottom of the posting.
- Please include the following documents and information with your application:
- Completed application package.
- Please complete all the sections including Experience, Education & References and answer all the corresponding questions.
- Minimum of three (3) professional teaching references who have observed your work as a teacher.
- For each referee, please include the names, titles, and email addresses and your professional relationship.
- Cover Letter
- Final Practicum Reports, or a recent Principal's Evaluation (if you have been teaching for a few years)
- Copy of transcript(s) or grades summary
All candidates are required to submit to a BC Ministry Criminal Record Check and a local Police Criminal Record Check as condition of employment.
At the North Vancouver School District, our values guide what we do. We support diversity and inclusion in our workplaces and schools; we welcome and respect the diverse backgrounds, experiences and talents of all our employees and students.
We value the opportunity to learn, share and grow on the traditional territory of the Coast Salish people, specifically the Skwxwú7mesh Nation and Tsleil-Waututh Nation.
*All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
** The North Vancouver School District values the time you have taken to submit your application; however, only those applicants selected to move forward will be contacted.**