Mission Public Schools www.mpsd.ca is hiring a Human Resources Manager. We serve a diverse
population of students from K to 12 benefiting from local knowledge keepers and
thriving Indigenous communities. We value: collaborative communities, empathic teams. First People's Principles of Learning, Inclusive Learning Environments, Innovative Educators and Regional Diversity.
Mission, British Columbia offers breath-taking views in the
Fraser Valley, an hour east of Vancouver and 15 minutes north of the U.S.
border. With a population of approximately 40,000, we are known as the ‘city
with the great big backyard’.
Reporting to the Director of Instruction/Human Resources, the Manager of Human Resources is responsible for the hiring and recruitment process for the School District, the attendance support program, and the Job Evaluation Process for support staff.
The Manager ensures that the District has efficient and effective hiring practices and procedures, managing the hiring process for all exempt employees, and supervising the recruitment work of the HR coordinators who manage the posting and filing of all positions for educators and support staff. The position also manages the employee attendance management / support and return to work program with support from the Manager of Health, Safety and Wellness. The manager is also responsible for supervising the administrative assistant and the dispatch clerk.
In addition, the position manages and negotiates the resolution of labour relations issues and disputes including grievances with both MTU and CUPE and provides direction and guidance to managers and administrators as required. The Manager also assists the Director with misconduct and harassment investigations, performance evaluations, arbitrations and labour contract negotiations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Superior knowledge of HR practices and procedures
· Exemplary management, administrative and organizational skills.
· Superior interpersonal, oral and written communication, problem solving, presentation, training, and conflict resolution skills.
· Ability to establish and foster collaborative and productive relationships with all levels throughout the organization and external agencies.
· Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately, with integrity and discretion.
· Ability to multi-task, prioritize, deal with uncertainty, in a complex and changing environment
· Detail-oriented with excellent analytical skills
· Understand and problem solve complex and sensitive issues using a fact-based approach.
· Ability to take initiative and work independently co-operatively and collaboratively, with minimal supervision and instruction
· Proficient with standard office applications and ability to adapt to other specialized software applications as required (e.g. Microsoft office).
· An approachable demeanor with a balance of assertiveness and empathy
Education and Certification:
· Degree in Human Resource Management or equivalent.
· Current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and safe driving record.
· A minimum of seven years of human resources experience in a multi-union and excluded environment, preferably in the public sector.
· Supervision experience.
Other Education and Experience:
· An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
· CPHR designation preferred.
Note: A clear Criminal Record is required for this position, with a review to be updated every five (5) years.
Please submit cover letter and resume to HRexempt@mpsd.ca by 4pm on December 12, 2018.