This position is 35 hours per week, 12 months/year.
From coastal beaches to mountain forests, North
Vancouver School District – “the natural place to learn” – provides world-class
instruction and a rich diversity of engaging programs to inspire success for
every student. Our 25 elementary and 7 secondary schools, 2600
staff and 16,000 students offer a safe and nurturing environment based on
trust, respect, responsibility and collaboration. We are looking for
enthusiastic and positive individuals to learn,
share and grow with us in “the natural place to work”.
Senior Accountant is responsible for processing, monitoring and reconciling
regular and complex financial information in compliance with Generally Accepted
Accounting Principles (GAAP), School District
policies and regulations, provincial statutes, Ministry of Education
directives, and other internal and external reporting requirements. The
incumbent assists with the preparation of monthly forecasts, annual budgets,
quarterly and year end financial statements, including the quarterly GRE, and
other documents. The incumbent is responsible for the timely and accurate
processing of journal entries and prepares specialized reports, returns, and
claims for reimbursement from government and other agencies. The incumbent provides advice and assistance
in financial, accounting, budgeting and technical matters to School
District staff, suppliers, and the public and may include
providing assistance and training to ensure compliance with policies and
procedures. Work is performed under
direction with independent judgment and action required. Work performance is reviewed for accuracy,
completeness and compliance with accepted standards and practices.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and accounting practices such as financial statements, internal controls, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general ledger processing.
- Thorough knowledge of legislation, regulations and procedures related to GST and PST calculations and remittances.
- Thorough knowledge of computers and applicable financial software including Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to monitor, reconcile and analyze complex financial information and prepare related reports and statements.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with regulations, procedures and practices and work with independent judgment and action under direction.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision and act with a high degree of independent judgment on a variety of matters.
- Ability to use a computer and peripheral equipment and applicable software, to produce from copy, rough draft or general instruction, a variety of material, and compose routine correspondence.
- Ability to work in a team environment and demonstrate collaboration and communication/problem solving skills.
- Ability to provide training and professionally communicate orally and in writing, and deal effectively with School District staff, suppliers, government agencies and the public in supplying information and assistance related to accounting issues and budget matters to ensure compliance with accepted practices.
- Ability to test financial software and participate in systems development initiatives.
- Ability to effectively manage time to meet strict deadlines.
- Skill in the use of a computer and applicable software.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of a
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Commerce or Finance, or a two year Accounting
Diploma from a recognized educational institution. Enrolment in a recognized
accounting program (CGA, CMA, CA) or post-secondary program of study that would
equate to an equivalency of CGA Level 4.
Five years previous related experience in a computerized accounting
environment or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
is a unionized position and the current rate of pay is $33.44 per hour.
North Vancouver School District, our values
guide what we do. We support diversity and inclusion in our workplaces
and schools; we welcome and respect the
diverse backgrounds, experiences and talents of all our employees and students. We value
the opportunity to learn, share and grow on the traditional territory of the
Coast Salish people, specifically the Skwxwú7mesh Nation and Tsleil-Waututh
Applying to this posting is a two-step process:
- Create your profile on Make A Future
- Apply to this posting
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
All candidates are required to submit to a BC Ministry Criminal Record Check
and a local Police Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
** The North Vancouver School District
values the time you have taken to submit your application; however, only those
applicants selected to move forward will be contacted.**